1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DOH!! Bought an MIJ MM J-bass on accident.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mebusdriver, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Traded some gear for a Marcus Miller Jbass today. Got home and started looking it over and found out it was MIJ. I wasn't even aware that they made the MM's in Japan so it freaked me out. I played an MIA yesterday, and with the exception of the "newer" strings I can't really tell a difference. Anybody ever compared the two? Did I screw up?:help:

2. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    The Marcus Miller's are widely regarded as great basses, easily comparable with MIAs.

3. YCBass

YCBass Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2007
    SoCal
    You answered your own question, don't let the labels (or TB) fool you... If it feels and sounds good to you then that's it.

But to try to provide some kind of answer, MIJ's are very well regarded and from my experience the quality is every bit as good as the MIA's.

4. mrniceguy715

mrniceguy715

May 2, 2006
    oklahoma
    Depends on how much you paid. I played both. And the only reason I liked the mia more was it was vintage white with aged looking inlays. But they felt pretty close and the fit and finish was spot on for both.

5. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    I actually prefer Japan Jazzes over the US stuff. I found better fit and finish overall.

The Geddy reissue is Japan as well.

6. blurfan

blurfan

Jul 17, 2008
    UK
    Is the MM MIJ or CIJ? The Geddy is CIJ.

7. Ampeg SVT

Ampeg SVT Son, I am disappoint.

Sep 9, 2006
    It should be CIJ, I love the MM, it is soo growly.
    Same goes for the GL

8. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    4 string MMs are made in Japan, 5 string MMs are made in the US, I believe.

9. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    +1. I'd take a Japanese Fender any day.

10. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    All my Jazzes are Japanese and all my Precisions are American. I find the Land of Godzilla makes an awesome Jazz, but their Precision necks aren't as great.

11. Red Planet

Red Planet Banned SUSPENDED

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    I'm cranky in my old age.
    My one and only Bass is a MIJ 53 reissue Precision that is spot on in every way. Plays like a dream and growls like a Fender should. :bassist:

12. Wow you guys made me feel a lot better. I was mainly concerned with the electronics. Whether or not I was gonna get the same quality as the MIA's. The overall composition of the bass feels excellent, so no complaints there. Oh, and I got it brand new for $749.99. GC was having a labor day sale, so I had to take advantage. It's my first purchase at a GC so I felt kind of dirty. Especially considering I had checked one out at the Atlanta Bass Gallery the day before. But a deal is a deal sooooo... I had to take it. :bassist:

13. I'm kind of having a problem understanding this... Unless these Marcos Miller's were made 50 years ago when American had machines and the Japanese were still recovering from a war and recycling tin rations for tools... the tooling, machining, CNCs machines are basically the same along with the software tolerances.

We'll excuse cosmetics trivia of an aged pickguard or cream binding for a minute, to me the differences can only be in electronics and final fret finish work.

I have a hard time believing that the USA factory, Mexico factor or Japanese factory spend any time "becoming one with the wood selection or getting deep spiritually with what neck that body deserves", by now, I think Fender has figured out how to make a consistent product for what ever range they are competing in regardless of what language the machine operator speaks.

14. "4 string MMs are made in Japan, 5 string MMs are made in the US, I believe"

Right. Check the Fender website.

Four string MM is part # 0257802 - the "025" denotes Japan

Five string MM is part # 0197802 - the "019" denotes US (Corona)

http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=0257802321

"I'm kind of having a problem understanding this"

What's the problem? This doesn't have any thing to do with "becoming one with the wood" or "what language the machine operator speaks". It is about cold, hard cash. US Fender basses are "worth" more, from a monetary stand point any way.

15. Sweet thanks. Set it up and restrung it last night. This thing is INCREDIBLE. :hyper:

16. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    I think you'll be just fine; especially if YOU like what you got.

I have an MIA Precision and the MM J and I think the MM J is a nicer overall bass in terms of build quality, finish and feel. They seems to be more "glossy" with more finish on the neck than the Americans which can help them hold up longer.

17. ESPplayer

ESPplayer

Nov 17, 2006
    Can i get some feedback on this bass? Im really like the look of them but was wondering,are the a one trick pony tone wise? Could i get a nice Jaco-esque tone and then go play some Tech-Death? Thanks

18. as i heard Roger Sadowsky say "Nobody goes to Japan to make cheap products."

19. Red Planet

Red Planet Banned SUSPENDED

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    I'm cranky in my old age.
    As far as just simply rightint a CNC Program in Master Cam, well it isnt that simple. No none of these Products are Zen guided in the aspect of picking the wood though there is more to it than that.

The Japan maded stuff is right up there with the American made stuff. Japan is known for very High Quality Manufacturing.

The other places Fender brings instruments frrom I would touch unless they were for a Kid. From metalegry, to wood selection, to the kind of labor used to fit and finish, all these things are designed into the cheaply made units. It is not a quest to make the cheap stuff as high quality as the American made stuff. The quest is to make something cheap and some of it is sub par that is for sure.

20. Nah man, this bass pretty much has it all. You can do a ton playing with the pick up volumes and the active/passive switch can really really change things up. It takes a little fooling around with but it can be utilized. The slap tones are SICK, duh, but you'll be amazed at the low end. And yeah if you turn down your neck pup about a quarter and roll back the highs a little more than a quarter, you can get a seriously funky "jaco" tone. The best thing about "that" tone on this bass is that the lows are soooo good that you don't get that really honky mid tone. The low end is still there and it'll burp like crazy if you touch it right. PLUS THE BASS PLAYS FREAKIN AMAZING. Awwwwww... it's so sick.