D'oh! Fell in love w/ Warwick Sound.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brendan, Apr 6, 2002.

1. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I was at a GC on Friday, played a BO Thumb 5er for kicks. I thought I hated Warwicks. Well, I do, the necks drive me nuts, but the SOUND. I didn't realize that it's pretty much the tone I wanted. Well, the only thing that irked me was the JustaNut (or whatever it is) kept digging into the base of my index finger when I fretted on the first 2 frets, though nothing 5 minutes with a Dremel tool wouldn't fix. Again, the sound, even with my beef with the neck would be a minor quibble in the face of that tone.

I'm such a hypocrite :rolleyes:. I might have to actually go and buy a Thumb BO 5er now. Oh the humanity!

- Question: Do you think I should sacifice my neck standards for the sound? Sound, or comfort? I think I could get used to the neck, but is it worth having to get used to something for a sound? Darn Warwick for being disinctive!
  2. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

[falls on knees; raises arms; camera slowly pans overhead and draws back ever so slowly]

sorry, can't contribute anything productive.

('specially to a WARWICK LOVER!:D )
  3. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Oh...me? I'm no Warwick lover. If it came down to a Warwick or an MTD 535, no contest, the MTD. Or Modulus, or Pedulla, or...see where this is going? I just like the sound. Now if only I could get the non-Warwick Warwick...
  4. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    pick up a used SSII or LX. wenge neck, brass nut, and it actually balances correctly :)
  5. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    You can have that plastic nut replaced with a brass one for about $35. I have found that the brass one is smoother and won't hurt your finger. It will also make your open strings resonate a little better while giving the bass more of a "high end "look. I think you will get used to the neck pretty quick and soon no other bass will do!
  6. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Look around for a used Zon Sonus Special. Gets that Thumb tone without being a Thumb. They can be found in the same price range as a new Thumb B/O.
  7. Excellent advice! This way you get a great-feeling composite neck as well. I just got a used Sonus Special fretless not too long ago (just like my hero Gard). The tone is great with that nice low mid character, and it's a dream to play. Try to look into it!

In fact, I think BassNW has a used fretted Sonus Special for sale right now. Of course, I'm sure you would want to try one out first.
  8. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    Brendan, come to the dark side, buy the Warwick!
  9. slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    I just picked up a Clover bass that sounds a LOT like a Warwick Dolphin bass. It's got the same pickup configuration. I'm in absolute LOVE with this thing.... the B-string sounds killer with the 36-inch scale graphite neck, too.

Oops, did I just use this post to express my joy over my recent purchase?... Methinks I did! :p
  10. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Must resist Thumb BO....
  11. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Tehe....Thumb BO...tehe....

If you like the bass, and are willing to spend the money on it, get it[IMHO].
  12. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Yeah, the Thumbs have a pretty killer tone. I just didn't like that tiny little body and the fact that the headstock likes to dive south when you let go of the neck. That is probably the ONLY reason I don't have one right now.

But, now that I have had the chance to play a Streamer Stage II, I know what my choice would be if I were to buy a Warwick. The SSII has it all, IMHO.;)
  13. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I found a used one on Ebay. The guy lived an hour away. It is dead mint, and sounds great. I own an FBass BN5 and love it, but I wanted that Warwick tone.....the tone...wow! it sounds good, but very opposite from the FBass. Kinda like having a Paul and a Strat for g players.

I do have a problem with the neck dive, and my shoulder ligiments are shot. So I gotta modify. I have a set of straplocks that I have a 1 " spacer on the horn lock. This gives a 1+1/2" standoff for the strap. I comes to the 14th fret. It helps, but I may extend it more.

Has anyone had any experience with shaving the chunky neck a little? That would reduce some weight.
  14. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I hear re positioning the bridge strap button higher helps kill the neck dive. Personally, I'm young, I got the arms and the back and the shoulder, I think I can handle some Thumb dive.

And so help me, this is the second time I've really wanted a Thumb. Maybe it was meant to be. It would also really lend to a killer rock stable.
  15. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Can't the neck diving thing be minimized by using a wide strap with some sort of a coarse underside? I use a 3" wide leather strap with fleece under the bottom.

James Martin
  16. what about what everyone else said about the Streamers? can they achieve that Thumb tone? or do you really like that little body, and that's the main reason you want the thumb? ;)

17. That helps but it is not that the bass slides it is that its center of balance is very off center.
    So your sholder becomes a bad point of balance.
    I thinks that makes sence.
  18. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I know this should be in Setup forum, but everyone is here already.
    How about a belt hook?, like on a Chapman Stick. It would attach by the neck bolts, and hook onto your belt. Anyone know of any makers?
  19. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    there's a used mid 90's SSII with an anvil case for $1200 on bassgear.com - just so you know.

and yeah, it can get as close to the thumb tone as you can get without being the exact tone. i feel it has a lot more usable tones in it than the thumb.
  20. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    One time a got to play an 80's streamer, and I liked it ALOT better than any other warricks (including thumbs) I've ever tried. I don't know if it was that it was an older one, or that I just like the streamer model better (only streamer I've played).

I don't know if it would be feasible or not (and no way to test it), but you could try getting a DP with all the same woods and electronics as a thumb, but with a smaller neck.