Doh... Here's an email I just sent out.

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Gabu, Nov 7, 2002.

1. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Hi guys,

When I left our last practice I was really iritated with our performance in Bleed. So I did some testing. I removed the bass and vocals from my PC version and sung and played bass from home. I realize now that I am coming in really late on a couple of the parts durring the chorus. This only occurs when I am playing bass and singing at the same time.

So I am working on that with my PC. Hopefully I will get that all cleared up by Sunday. Otherwise I may just omit the chorus while we play so that we can cleanly get through the whole song.

Sorry ... I feel like a heel. I was thinking it was you guys. :p

2. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I think it was well said, especially, if you may have let on to some frustration at the practice.

I try my best to figure out what about a song needs correction if I am not 'feeling it'. And I definately try my best to do as much homework on my own part before saying anything. I feel that is the courteous way to go about it.

Also, I am just starting to sing and play at the same time, so I kind of feel your frustration. Good luck, I think you email shows a lot of maturity.
  3. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    In my band when something doesn't go right we just all start calling the drummer an idiot. j/k. Luckily the guys in the band are more interested in correcting something that's wrong than their ego. IMO it's a lot harder to hear yourself messing up than it is to hear other people mess up. So if someone in the band has a suggestion about your playing go with it and see how it sounds.
  4. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    another thing, the only way I can tell what is going wrong is to listen to a recording. There is far too much concentration to tell who is doing what you are playing. It is much easier to decide what a correct resolution could be when you got the flaw recorded.
  5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    We record our rehearsals quite often, it really helps to go back and listen to them sometimes.