1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Doh! Toby Pro-5 Electrics Dead

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tufnuts, Aug 14, 2002.

1. Doh...been having some flakines w/ the output on my toby pro-5 over the last week. So I cleaned the output jack and replaced the battery...and then it totally poops out. I didn't have time last night to totally dig into it, so I'll check for broken wires / Cold joints tonight. Prolly broke a lead to the battery.

But...if that preamp has toasted, I'd really dig replacing it with a new preamp. I'd love to use the basslines 3 band setup w/ the slap contour (I have one in my warmoth). But, this is a two p/u bass and my warmoth just has a MM p/u. So the blend is kinda unknown to me. The stock knob config is a 4 hole, and I'd rather keep that the same. The master volume knob will be the slap contour...so that's Push/Pull. The Treble control is a single, and the Mid/Bass is a concentric...so no prob there. I'm guessing the p/u blend will be before the signal goes into the preamp (just acts as a single input).

So, basically, does anyone have a good quick place I can go to check out how to make the 4th pot a blend config?

P.S. This isn't a total bad thing, it just made me get out my T-40 and realize that it sounds very very tight w/ the SVP pro. Damn that thing has...well....toughnuts lol. It's a big output growly groaning breathy dirty thing.

2. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Sorry, I can't help you on the Bassline preamp. I would guess that you are right about it going in front of the preamp, though.

If you can't make it work, though, here is a different way you can go. On my Toby Pro 4 I installed a Bartolini preamp that has the bass and treble on a stacked pot, and the mid on its own pot, so the 3 band EQ fits in a 4 hole setup (volume, blend, bass/treble, and mid). The mid is a push/pull pot with two choices for the mid frequency (250/800 hz). It sounds great, much better than the original preamp. I got the pre-wired harness - very easy to install. I just had to replace the jack that came on it with the original one on the bass because they are different.

This is it:

Bartolini

Hopefully someone can help you with the Basslines preamp, but if not give this a try.

3. is the "quietness" that is associated with the Toby Pro series a fault of the pickups, or the preamp?

4. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    The preamp. After I replaced it with the Bartolini preamp it is MUCH louder. I had to adjust the gain down quite a bit on the preamp from the factory setting because it was too loud.