Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Doh! Which way do they go?!?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, Apr 1, 2002.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    :mad:

I'm busy installing my DiMarzio Model Js in my Jazz, and have a possibly stupid question...

Which end is up? Logo left or logo right? Does it matter?

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Let's see... the end with the pole pieces is up...:D

And if you look frontwards at the bass, with the headstock pointed roughly towards the sky, the logo should be right side up.

HTH.

3. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Well, yeah, but...the logo is sideways on one end of the cover.

4. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Ah, OK, never had any DiMarzio Jazz pups... I guess that's what I get for being a smart guy. Hang on, I'll go look in my catalog...

It doesn't show them mounted, but all the pix of pups show the logo to the right. HTH, again.

5. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Maybe it matters and maybe it doesn't, but my DiMarzio P-Bass pickups are mounted so that the logos are in the bottom left corner, as the bass is sitting in an upright, front-facing position.

6. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    OK, that helps a little. The Js are narrow enough that the logo fills the entire width (or is that height?) of the pickup, but if the P logo is left off-center...

I mounted them logo left, but I think I'm going to call DiMarzio today anyway. I even tried a pic search on Google with no luck.

Major increase in output and low end, by the way! I'd like to A/B them against a P, just for yucks...

7. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I don't think I've ever seen a pickup that wasn't mounted so that you could read the logo/text if you had the bass the way it sits in a stand. It'd be cool to reverse them, just to see what kind of sound you get.

8. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Per DiMarzio: 'taint no difference!

As I said, looking at the face of the pickups there's no way of telling. If you hold it long way horizontally, the logo is sideways on one end. (I'm not a total doof!)