doin some experamenting w/ qrt pounders

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by cone, Mar 30, 2002.

1. cone

cone Guest

Oct 13, 2001
    hey everyone, i like the sound of seymore duncan qrt pounder pickups, but i still wanna have regular p bass pickups (i have a american fender pbass). i have seen the bc rich basses w/ 2 p-pickups, one at the neck one at the bridge, i was wonderin if i could do something like this w/ these and install some sort of pickup selecter or blender where i could go completely w/ 1 sound at a time if i wanted to,

any info would be great
  2. Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    you could make your own..

ive seen a few custom shop fenders with multiple p's, you could check into that..

i think it was vox that made a bass with a p right next to the bridge.. i suppose you could route a p in the normal position..
  3. A split-P moved out the P sweet spot will no longer sound like a P.

I've measured many P-basses, and the pole pieces are 11.0" from the 12th fret in every case.
  4. register

Mar 31, 2002
    Hey, in my opinion you shouldn't get the other P installed unless your bass is pretty trashy. I'm thinking that the pole pieces wouldn't line up (for instance, in a jazz bass the neck and bridge pickups are different lengths to compensate for the change in string spacing).
  5. jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    I just recently built a dual P-Bass pickup bass for a customer. I used a Duncan "Hot" in the normal position and a "QP" by the bridge. The tone variations available with this setup are very diverse, but as Bgavin said, the P-Bass pickup near the bridge is not going to sound the same as the one in the standard position. It sounded somewhere between a standard P-Bass pickup and a Jazz bridge pickup. Sounded very cool overall though.
  6. cone

cone Guest

Oct 13, 2001
    thx for the info guys