1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

doin some experamenting w/ qrt pounders

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by cone, Mar 30, 2002.

1. cone

cone Guest

Oct 13, 2001
    Georgia
    hey everyone, i like the sound of seymore duncan qrt pounder pickups, but i still wanna have regular p bass pickups (i have a american fender pbass). i have seen the bc rich basses w/ 2 p-pickups, one at the neck one at the bridge, i was wonderin if i could do something like this w/ these and install some sort of pickup selecter or blender where i could go completely w/ 1 sound at a time if i wanted to,

any info would be great
    thx

2. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    you could make your own..

www.warmoth.com

ive seen a few custom shop fenders with multiple p's, you could check into that..

i think it was vox that made a bass with a p right next to the bridge.. i suppose you could route a p in the normal position..

3. A split-P moved out the P sweet spot will no longer sound like a P.

I've measured many P-basses, and the pole pieces are 11.0" from the 12th fret in every case.

4. register

register

Mar 31, 2002
    Boston
    Hey, in my opinion you shouldn't get the other P installed unless your bass is pretty trashy. I'm thinking that the pole pieces wouldn't line up (for instance, in a jazz bass the neck and bridge pickups are different lengths to compensate for the change in string spacing).

5. jwymore

jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    I just recently built a dual P-Bass pickup bass for a customer. I used a Duncan "Hot" in the normal position and a "QP" by the bridge. The tone variations available with this setup are very diverse, but as Bgavin said, the P-Bass pickup near the bridge is not going to sound the same as the one in the standard position. It sounded somewhere between a standard P-Bass pickup and a Jazz bridge pickup. Sounded very cool overall though.

6. cone

cone Guest

Oct 13, 2001
    Georgia
    thx for the info guys