doin stuffs ya dont wants to do

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Dec 6, 2003.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    otherwise titled: THE PROCRASTINATION THREAD.

i've got to do some work i really don't want to do. mixing about 20 minutes worth of music set to poetry that i recorded for a friend on a 16 track recorder/mixer i never really learned how to use. it's like pulling my own teeth without a mirror.

i've found myself responding to threads i'd never respond to, posting lame threads like this, getting angered here at things that wouldn't ordinarily anger me, and just basically wasting as much time as possible to not have to do this thing that i MUST complete by tomorrow morning.

that's it.

another 5 minutes wasted. i'm gonna go find another post now that i can misdierect my anger and frustration at.
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I have a lot of homework to do but im putting it off until tomorow. Thats about it though.
  3. Stuff I don't do cause I don't want to :

Cleaning my ass after I take a poop.
  4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001

So your THAT guy. :eek: :meh:
  5. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'm so lazy, I put off procrastinating.
  6. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    No, you don't.... get lost on the way to procrastinating, you're just trying to pass it off as being lazy.

7. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Do shut up, Tony.
  8. HAHAHA!
  9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Homer Simpson put it best when he said something like........"hard work pays off in the long run, but laziness pays off NOW!

10. [​IMG]
  11. yYou are the master of smilies.
  12. fears that we are somehow unable or inadequate to do the job at hand. or we feel put out about having to do something, when we'd much rather be doing something else.

i suspect a little of both is at work here.

you mention that you are doing this for a friend, and that you aren't totally familiar with the machine at hand. the thought that you will have to take time to figure out the 16-track might "or else" might be creating doubt in your ability to do it, and fear/anxiety over the looming deadline. that this is for a friend may be bringing up thoughts that a) this is more than you bargained for b) this is unfair -- are you being paid for your time? c) this will come out like dogsh it, and you will look foolish in front of your friend.

of course, it may not be that heavy, but procrastinating is like escape-avoidance stuff. usually a deeper dynamic going on.

my solution is to tell yourself that you are not going to do this project. no way, no how. zilcho. completely abandon the idea. this will take the pressure off to do the thing completely.

then go do some other important thing that you have to do for yourself [not play games or answer stupid posts]. like, pay bills or return important phone calls.

i guarantee you that after an hour of diverting the problem, you'll be able to get back to it with a clearer head [unless you choose to not do it at all, which is also an option].

i don't know why this technique works for me, but it does. i guess it's all about reducing the anxiety level, and recognizing that you really didn't have anything else that was that important to do anyhow.

also -- how long have you had to do this project? if your answer is several weeks, i suspect you never wanted to do it to begin with.

just my penny...

and btw, i liked your old avatar better, but you are boasting some mighty fine titties now!

13. By not doing anything I don't want to do, I can devote all my energy to my two true and most important skills: procrastinating and rationalizing.
  14. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    I have this as a poster on my wall. It contains the words I live by.

Last thursday I had 3 projects to do that were due the next day. They were announced at least a month beforehand, but I ignored them until the last day. Had I started the projects earlier, I might have done better, but that's a matter of good vs. a little better, so that issue is erroneous. Also, the more stress is put on me due to something being due the next day, the faster I know I must work to finish with any hope of sleeping that night, therefore maximizing time not doing work on all of the days before, and thus only having stress on one day rather than many.

Works quite fine for me, thank ya very much.
  15. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA

I'm getting married in Feburary. My full time job over here did not permit me to look for employment elsewhere. I quit my job, should have a resume already printed up and I don't, I think I've gotten as far as "Casey Hughes". I didn't take a butcher job because of the (Evidently high) chance I might loose a finger. I know I should be looking for a job over there, it's a 2 hour drive. But instead, I lay in bed, sleeping till 10, and trying to write a resume, which means playing PS2 and eating ramen noodles. Tomorrow I think I'm going to a bunch of temp ageincys, which probably means going to the mall and getting 2 "spicy McChicken" sandwiches, so as not to bust my bank account, and going to GameStop and asking when my new game is coming in again.

All in all, I hate my life, because I just can't get off my ass to do what I need to do. A metor from the sky could be coming to kill us all right now, and instead of running to my girls house, to say goodbye, or jumping of a cliff or some crazy crap I always wanted to do, I would probably crush my alarm clock, get under my covers, and sleep.
  16. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Oh yeah, and I just got my spector, and, instead of playing it, I'm on here, wasting time talking about how much I waste time.
  17. I second that...Miss Foster also gives GREAT information...she's like a Saint...for bassists :D
  19. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products

she did buy me 2 ink cartridges, but it hardly compensates for the time i put in.

ps. it's done, its over, i think it sounds great, i'm happy.

:D . thank you. i think.