Doing a free choice oral on the bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by romac, Jun 12, 2004.

1. So in English we are doing an oral and we can chose the topic. Since it's near the end of term (semester for our American friends) and with it not meaning anything, just practice in speaking publicly, I chose a topic I enjoy, the bass (obviously).

Anyway, armed with my Complete Bass Players book telling me all about the history of the bass I was just interested to know if you guys/girls knew any interesting facts about the bass or anything bass related that would interest a mainly non-musical audience? Just so I can not just teach them about the not very well known history of the bass, I would also like any ideas just to make it a bit more interesting.

Any ideas would be great :)
  2. Muhwi

Jun 8, 2004
    I'd start with some history of the upright bass, which is quite interesting too (it's not related to violins and all that), then why electric bass was introduced, then history of the electric till today. Comparison with the guitar? Soundsamples like "would you believe this can be done with tha bass?" How has the role of the bass changed from being a part of a orchestra till today? Extreme examples like V.Wooten or B.Dickens? I dunno, but the worst thing to do is just talk and talk and produce numbers and dates no one really cares of, there must be action. Get a bass up there and play a little something for them, or let them try a bass :)
  3. Play Classical Thump and Portrait of Tracy for your class.

You'll get an A and maybe some female action afterwards :rolleyes: ;)
  4. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    I second playing for them. Much more interesting than the usual oral presentation.

(By the way the title of this thread sounds ridiculously raunchy.)
  5. I was gonna play something but worried that may look like showing off. I'm going to take my old SX P-bass copy to show people since the Precision bass was the first horizontal electric bass, thought that would be good.

The sound samples are a good idea.

Thanks for the help, any more ideas would be great!
  6. At some point during the presentation, you absolutely must take off your pants and do a little dance.
  7. lol

You Americans and your sexually minds :p
  8. Hey now!
    There's nothing innately sexual about my post! It's only sexual if you do a sexy dance with your pants by your ankles.

9. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    A suggestion to mix the historical aspect and playing aspects:

Start off with a brief history of the electric bass (upright history is entirely TOO lengthy! :)) and play bits from each era in bass. Do Jamerson and Beatles from the 60s, Bootsy and Stanley Clarke for the 70s, Jaco for 70s and 80s, GNR for the 80s :)P), and some Marcus/Vic for the 90s/00s.