Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

doing DANCE; what songs to play? PLZ PLZ PLZ HELP

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by muzfuz, Oct 9, 2000.

1. muzfuz

muzfuz

Oct 2, 2000
    my band is doing a thing for halloweed, but its gotta have a sort of dance atmosphere (this is a school function) but this is halloween so we can get sorta heavy i guess... here's what we can come up with from our repetoire of the songs that are "danceable"... sort of

Wild Thing (our WARMUP SONG!)
    Last Resort--- papa roach
    Whats My Age Again--- BLINK182
    DAMMIT----BLINK182
    Sweet Child of Mine
    Enter Sandman--- Metallica
    Wipeout
    Creeping Death--- Metallica
    For Whom the Bell Tolls--- Metallica
    Fuel---- Metallica
    Nothing Else Matters----- "
    UNFORGIVEN---------------- "
    Today-- Smashing Pumkins
    Message in a Bottle----- Machinehead/Sting
    Under the Bridge------ Chilli Peppers

Plus our guitarrist are damm good, so we're planning on doing a few minutes of improvised jazz. Anyway, my question is, are these songs danceable, AND PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE give me suggestions. We know a lot of songs, but most of them just cant be danced to (we would like some slow songs, but also others) PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help us!!!!!

muzfuz

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well, there are literally thousands of "dance" songs you could do, but I'm afraid that these aren't any of them!

3. Jennifer

Jennifer

Jul 31, 2000
    Erie, Illinois
    Not one of my favorite songs, but the girls seem to like to dance to Kryptonite by 3 Doors Down.

4. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    Right after Fuel, you should jump into a Temptations song. Then play Moby Dick by Led Zeppelin. That'll be a weird dance.

5. CANT TOUCH THIS BY MCHAMMER!!!

and play an Offspring song (self esteem is the greatest!)

6. Jennifer

Jennifer

Jul 31, 2000
    Erie, Illinois
    Maybe a Green Day song or two. Basket Case?

7. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    Ladies' Night by Kool and the Gang
    Pick up the Pieces by Average White Band (if you have a horn section)
    Play That Funky Music by Wild Cherry

8. A fun song to play we've been working on is Cake's version of "I Will Survive"; if you pick up the tempo a bit it's very danceable. Plus chicks dig it.

Also:
    Anything by Duran Duran
    Anything by Matchbox 20
    Brown-eyed girl by Van Morrison
    Shook me all night long - AC/DC

As long as the ladies like it, that's all that matters; the guys will get dragged out on the dance floor anyway. You gotta cater to the chicks, trust me. It's not selling out, it's butts on the floor, baby!

9. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    Hey! Something I feel qualified to talk about. My band has had to play for high school aged church dances over the years and we have learned it is very difficult to please. First of all, musical tastes are so different. Some will want rap, others country, others some on your list. The other challenge is kids don't really dance one on one as much anymore. They just kind of congregate in small groups and pose. I would work up more slow songs, at least they dance to those. If you are much older than them, don't try to be too hip unless you can still rock hard. If you're white, don't try rap or hip hop or you will look extremely geeky. If you have time, consider getting a couple of them to do a guest soloist thing and then work up something danceable that is on the radio right now. Maybe a girl and then do a couple of No Doubt songs. They like to see their peers up there, in my experience and it tends to bridge the age gap. As for songs, try the guest vocalist route and get them to give you specific suggestions based on what's popular where you are.

10. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...I'd say "I Will Survive" is danceable(the original version is a '70s DISCO hit by Gloria Gaynor). Cake's cover is pretty true to the original, too.
    BTW-
    You're right on the money about catering to the chickees; girls wanna have fun & dance...Hell, they'll even dance with each other!
    The way it used to be in the dance clubs of the '70/'80s-
    Get the girls IN the club(with danceable music)& the guys with the $$$ will follow like the dogs they are. :D

11. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    For Halloween gigs, my band always plays the Atlanta Rhythm Section's version of "Spooky". The bassline is fun to play, and it usually packs the dancefoor.

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    DANG! I am getting OLD! I have not HEARD OF a single one of those songs. Judas H. Priest. What do I do now? Suicide, or go bowling?

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    OK, maybe Wild Thing I've heard of.

14. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I agree with Bruce, I wouldnt call any of the songs you listed as danceable. You could get away with Kryptonite by 3 doors down...as much as i hate to say this try and learn some of the stuff by Nsync, Back Steet Boys, Britney Spears, Christina Aguilara, etc. Some good ones by them that are really dancable are Bye Bye Bye and Space Cowboy by Nsync, Come on Over, Genie in A Bottle by Christina Aguilera, Crazy and Baby One More Time by Britney Spears, I want it That Way is a good slow one to do by BSB..as well as, As Long As You Love Me. My band does these songs and they seem to go over well with an adult crowd, so Im sure that alot of the people at a dance would like them too, especially the girls.

15. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I think a lot of older songs from the 60's and 70's will go down pretty well with high school kids, or anyone for that matter. The problem with that is lots of times you need a horn section, which I get the feeling you don't have. I do agree that while most guys don't like BSB or N'SYNC, girls love them so you should play them.

16. try some stuff by weezer, that stuff is really danceable, like "sweater song" you should throw that one in. If you want to stick with rock songs (which i'm assuming) then i say go back in time, play some beatles hits, maybe buddy holly stuff, try to stick with oldies for the softer songs, like light rock stuff. the songs you listed on the set list, well you'll be having a mosh pit the whole night. seriously, i dont think that list will work for a dance, a concert, yes, but a dance, no. just remember, you dont watn them to mosth the WHOLE time ;)

17. I have been to some very successful dances with that type of music, but you should mix it up to please every one. Try Grease songs hehe, I hate em but I would always dance with a girl to songs like those. *bonus* They are really easy to play.

18. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Granted, I'm out of touch(maybe)-
    One tune that ALWAYS got people up..."What I Like About You" by The Romantics. Whether I was playing in an '80s R&B band or one of my '90s Alternative bands, it didn't matter.

19. Licketysplit

Licketysplit

Mar 15, 2000
    Try to have more variety (way too much Metallica). also, Have a few slow songs like Wonderful Tonight by Eric Clapton. Also, one of my bands played Fire by jimi Hendrix and we took 3rd place in a talent show. Lots of disco is danceable. And songs like Highway to Hell or Shook Me All Night Long are very very popular and are great for getting the crowd energized. One final note, most of the stuff from the sixties and seventies were danceable. Beatles, Cream (sunshine of your love is great), etc.

20. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Check the "Top Funk Songs to Know" thread in this forum.