Doing my first neck swap on my rescue bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gotly, May 1, 2019.

1. gotly

gotly

Jun 28, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    I have this Mexican made P bass (sat for 10 years in a friends closet) that came in pretty bad condition. I call it my rescue bass because I adopted it. I swapped the pickguard and pickups, did a new setup, but never touched the truss rod. I changed string gauges recently and wanted a little more neck relief. To my surprise, the truss rod was stripped! Nothing was left to turn. My allen wrenches wouldn't catch.

So I figured I'd just swap the neck! After the neck swap, the only thing stock on this thing will be the bridge. I might also go for some sweet black tuners.

Looking up the serial number on Fender's website says it's a "Standard Precision Bass" 2001-2008. Serial number is MZ1105XXX.

Any suggestions on a neck replacement? It doesn't have to be Fender, but it has to be rosewood. I hate maple. Their neck replacements on Fender's website only have two rosewood options and they each cost more than a brand new Mexican P bass. Seems a bit excessive!

Ideally I'm looking for something pre-fretted and pre-finished. I don't have a wood shop or a lot of room to do real woodworking. I'm looking for something I can swap in, add some tuners, file the nut and call it a day.

facelift.jpeg

jamro217 likes this.
  2. Did you try one of these guys:
    Torx-Bits_T15-T20-T25-T30.jpg

or something like the Gripper Truss Rod Wrench.

rojo412 and jamro217 like this.
  3. gotly

gotly

Jun 28, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Not yet, but the neck is in pretty rough shape for other reasons. Dings on the front and back, frets aren’t level, etc. Plus I kind of want to replace the last piece of stock equipment. Make it totally custom. Ya know?

4. basstones

basstones Supporting Member

May 24, 2005
    Houston, TX
    funkinbottom likes this.
  5. funkinbottom

funkinbottom Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Northern CA.
  6. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

if cost is a concern: i'd have to go with the mighty mite necks = they're highly competent...and cheap! good luck with your neck(s)! :thumbsup:

7. kbraker510

kbraker510 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Stratosphere?

8. jeff62

jeff62 Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Central FL
    Warmoth. Buy something that’s in stock and the prices are pretty good. Great quality.

9. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2010
    los angeles
    Tb classifieds

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 20, 2022