Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Doing your Job with Low End Firepower

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Big Benner, May 3, 2005.

1. I played a gig last weekend where I was told they had a small PA for a small room (150 people). I brought in my SWR WM 12 combo (12inch speaker, 100watts, DI out) which I use for rehearsal with the same 5 peice rock band (volume at 10 o'clock).

The club had 2 cabinets (1x15 plus horn) that were "flown" from the ceiling plus 2 monitors for the stage. Great for vocals and a little bit of keys, but they couldn't re-produce any low end frequencies. The whole gig suffered. The sound coming to the audience was all mids and highs,... not enough low end (80Hz and stuff). Fans said everything was muddled and mid'y. I had my SWR combo with everything at 12 o'clock and the Limiter light on half of the time.

If I had brought my SWR SM900 head and 2x10 & 1x15 Yorkville cabs it would have sounded sooo much better. And not just me sounding so much better but the whole band. The bass would have been bass. Low end depth to the whole band. I could have also brought along an SM 57, thrown it into the kick drum and used a Behringer pre amp into the FX loop on the SWR to add some low end thump to the drums. It would have filled the room with no PA.

I'm not the type of person who just cranks it. We sound check and take advice from our "sixth member", the guitarists girlfriend who is a music fan and knows how we should sound and is always there for sound check.

Point being,... I'm a bassist and the show suffered because I didn't do my part sound & frequency wise.

I brought the small combo to save my back and car space and am kicking myself for what could have been a great sounding show because I didn't have access to all of my low end fire power.

I admit that I have been one of those guys who's been vocal about less is more, bring what you need, and small rigs are fine. If I've played the club and can get away with the combo amp, I'll do it. But if I'm going into an unknown situation even if they say they have PA, I'm bringing my big rig,......................... for the band.