Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dolphin Pro I

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by eric atkinson, Feb 1, 2005.

1. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Hey guys and gals, I will be soon getting a new collection to my girls! I have played almost all forms of warwick basses. (higher end) Except for the Dolphin and was wanting some input from anyone that has! First what is the neck dive like on this bass? The thumb bass dive really doesnt bother me so is it worse? And what is the tone control like on these monsters?

2. Hello Eric. I have owned a number of Dolphins in the past, and have managed to hang onto my 1990 boire Pro1 with factory barts. Actually the elongate horn ensures that the neck stays upright, so no neck dive issues there. Controls on this older model are vol/pan (pull up for passive) and treble/bass (pull up for coil tap on the bridge humbucker). It's a great sounding instrument.

3. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Dolphin Pro I was one of my faves, the overall weight was what ultimately was its downfall - whoof, that thing is heavy. Mine was a 2003 or 2004 though, the boire bodied ones may have been lighter than the ovangkol ones are.

If I was going to buy another 5-string, the DPI would still be high on my list.

4. The '90 boire Dolphin Pro1 that I have isn't paticularly heavy (~8.5 lbs) and is extremely well-balanced although it is a four-string. I can't speak with certainty on the current ones. The five that I used to have was under ten lbs, so not a lightweight.

5. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars

...d00d...

If you call that Dolphin heavy, what do you call your Buzzard??????

:confused:

And the next two ain't gonna be featherweights either!!!

:eek:

:bag:

6. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Slightly less heavy =0) probably the same amount of wood, but 20% lighter at the bridge and headstock due to the Buzz being a 4. The *new* Buzz may whoop me, but I won't be playing it as often... I think.

Well, see above about the Buzz. The Spector actually will have slightly less weight than a similar neckthru with the NS body shape, according to PJ, and all I'll have to counter is neck dive.

And my Bennie's gonna be chambered, so nyahhhh.

And now, back to the thread. Gard, you're such the derailer lately.

7. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Hey thanks for the input guys! I dont worry too much about wieght! I own a USA spector 5 string and i have also sufferd back and neck troubles all my life from playing bass! I figured that if i want to play bass then i will learn to live with the pain! I would prefer to try to find a older model considering that i have had a corvette pro from 93. Some might disagree with me but i wouldnt trade my older corvette for a new thumb! So now its just hunting down that older dolphin! If ya guys see anything let me know!

8. Scott French

Scott French Dude Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    My Boire 92 is pretty heavy. I had a Birdseye 98 or 99 and it was hefty as well. There is little or no neck dive though. Mine has MECs but the controls are the same as oddio's. I don't know if it is the same preamp or not.

If you are looking to buy one over the net and are picky about neck profiles beware. From 89/90-Present the necks have changed a whole lot. The 90 Dolphin I've played has a very slim neck, my 98 was a baseball bat, my 92 is slim but somewhere between the others.

9. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    I stand corrected my corvette pro-line is a 95. I love the thin neck i have on that so i will probably try to find a dolphin with similar neck size! Thanks for the warning! It wont be a new warwick i am sure of that.

10. One point to take into consideration... it is my understanding from various threads in the past that some of the boire Dolphins had problems with the wood splitting. I have had no issue with my '90. I wax it on schedule. I'm certain there are many others out there that are fine, but if you are intent on buying an older one, examine it closely and carefully before plunking down your cash. Good hunting!

11. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Wow yeah that would suck! :eek: Trust me i will bug them for as many pics as i can! lol Also good point to make is i wonder what to look for in a bass if someone hasnt properly waxed them? I have always waxed my warwick and spector every month! A little anal about my basses! lol My wife says i am nutz cause i have to have warwick wax for my warwick and bowling alley wax for my spector! She told me the other day that i spend more money on nice cloth to polish with as i do on underware and socks! :rollno: :D I told her that my priorities in life are as follows--My daughter--my basses--my dog--then her! :spit: I was kidding ofcourse! She always would come before my dog! :eyebrow: