Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dolphin Pro II

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Limo, May 13, 2003.

1. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    Does anybody own a Warwick Dolphin Pro II, I have one who seems to be a prototype, it has great tone for rock and metal IMO. What do you think of them?
    P.S. I have a Lakland USA 5 string that I have put back in the case at some rock sessions and gigs.

2. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    any pics????

3. Hi Limo! What special features on your Pro II lead you to believe that it's a prototype? I've seen a few of these, and I'm convinced you're lucky to have one that isn't badly beaten up.

4. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    Oddio: It doesn't have any serial number + the previous owner said he contacted Warwick and they said it was a prototype.

5. That does sound right for a prototype. Congratulations! May I ask what the string spacing is like? Is it tight like the Pro I? I know they experimented with different spacings on the Pro II.

6. Pics! Pics! Pics!

Please.

7. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    The string spacing is similar to all Warwick basses I've tried/owned, although because it's a bolt-on maple neck Korean made Warwick it has a different feel than a neck through German made. Actually the neck reminds me a lot of a Washburn Bantam bass. I will try to post pics tomorrow.

8. CDuff

CDuff

Sep 14, 2002
    Europe
    :D my brother's got one but it's sittin' here beside me now. I love it.
    Warwick said they discontinued this model because there were illegal copies on the European market. I sent them the serial number and this one's authentic.

Class bass, I just recorded with it last Saturday. Studio engineer loved it too. :)

9. My '88 Warwick Dolphin5 Pro I has a rather broad yet comfy string spacing. Apparently this bass was designed with tappers and slappers in mind. Mine came with two Bartolini P-2 soapbars and the usual POS MEC preamp. I would say the original tone of mine was not at all suited for rock or metal. It was far to "polite" and mild sounding with very little attitude. I knew a peramp swap might go a long way but decided to go the route I had done previously with my old Streamer; install a full Alembic sig.series electronics package. My bass now has a massive, wide open tone that is clear as a bell and cut's through any situation. I feel kinda lucky...

[​IMG]

10. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I shipped a Dolphin Pro II to Iceland back in December of '01. I was the original owner. There's a chance that this is the same instrument. If so, I can give you a little extra history. Send me a PM.

11. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I used to own a Dolphin Pro II. Nice bass, but it wasn't bassy enough.

The serial number was in a weird place - the top of the headstock, not behind it. Look on the flat area above the "W".

12. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    A couple of pics for you....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Beautiful!!! The string spacing does look the same as my Pro I. I'm so glad to see one of these in good hands and well taken care of.

14. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    Thanks Oddio:D

15. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    WOW....that looks sweet, i love solid gloss dolphins. im thinking of gettting a SN dolphin in solid black (or vintage white, thanks for the inspiration oddio).

16. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Thanks for the pix. I'm 99% sure that's my old bass. I never was able to find a serial number on the thing so it's hard to establish a positive ID. The Dolphin does have one interesting scar, though: on the back of the headstock is a faded rectangular area where a sticker (with lot number) was affixed. I put the Dunlop straplocks on all my basses. The white pads under each strap peg are DeVilbiss nebulizer intake filters. Neat, huh?

17. I make trouble wherever I can :rolleyes: !!! I too would love to have a black Dolphin, but the vintage white will have to suffice (sigh).

18. Oh, how I miss her :-( one of the few basses I have really missed, I sold a streamer stage I at a similar time and the loss was not as great as with the dolphin. great neck, sweet sound. Hey, long time no see Riis I didnt know you were a member, and yes it´s your old bass. I was under the impression that only the body´s were made in korea, and that the dolphin proII´s were assembled in germany, allthough I could be wrong.

19. Here's something interesting if you bought your DPII from Ebay... I was bidding against you! Anyhow I still have the original pics from the auction:

[​IMG]

20. I had always been partial to skinnier, "pencil" neck basses which I found (at the time) more suited to hi-octane, punk-jazz material I was playing. Never thought I'd want otherwise until I picked up that wide, flat neck of the Dolphin 5 Pro I. The sweetest neck I have wrapped my mitts around.
    Any other Pro I owners out there? Mine is actually a 1991 model, serial# C008

[​IMG]