Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dolphin???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MrBungle3, May 16, 2002.

1. MrBungle3

MrBungle3

May 16, 2002
    Dallas
    I have a curiosity about the Warwick Dolphin bass. I hear that it plays like a thumb bass (which tone I love) with a better balance... but I have never seen or played on a dolphin before. I have seen pictures on the warwick web site and its looks pretty wierd, but I can dig it, the only thing is I dont like the wood they used. Its a little too dark/harsh I guess, I like the smooth look of the Bubinga or Afzelia a bit better. I guess any info I can get about this bass would be good info, if it is worth taking a good look into or not.
    thanks.

2. I haven't played one, but a good friend of mine who works at a music store, and very good bassist, owns a Dolphin stage one. He liked it so much that he sold his neck thru thumb 6 with custom bartolinis. He is also ordering dolphin 5 from the warwick custom shop- he is getting it made out of two other types of wood, I can't remember what types.

He likes that punchiniess and clean sound it he can get from it, the smooth, deep low end, and the fact that it really cuts through the mix. That is about all the help I can give you.

3. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    any idea what the custom shop stuff is costing your friend?

they're very ambiguous about pricing on their custom shop stuff.

btw - the early 90's dolphin fretless 4 i played a few years ago ranks WAY up there as all time favorite basses.

4. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    A mate of mine has a maple neck Dolphin in Translucent red.I think its a II.

5. Yeah, all up like US $4500-$5000. About $9500AUS

6. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Bass Central has a birdseye-maple Dolphin listed, but I think it's pretty ugly (it's probably much nicer in person). The ovangkol ones with a lot of figuring I like, but so far my favorite was the set-neck (Dolphin SN) that BNW had a few weeks ago made from Afzelia, here's a not-so-good picture of one:

[​IMG]

7. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    listen to some of the older dave matthews band stuff (pre-before these crowded streets---he used a modulus 5er and a thumb 6er on that album). stephan lessard played a 4 string boire dolphin pro I. i think the pro II's were the bolt ons produced in the early/late 90's.

8. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I think the dolphin looks a bit odd.. but i'm willing to get passed that.. I played one a few months ago and I just loved the tone. This guy in the store was trying to tell me that his warwick streamer std bass was a much better bass... The guy worked at the store and was a real jerk... maybe his did sound better... but all the warwick standards i've seen and heard didn't even come close to the dolphin..

9. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i'm 90% sure stefan still used the dolphin and thumb, along with an upright, on BTCS. during that tour was when he got his first modulus ( a green q5)

10. PJR

PJR

Jun 20, 2001
    N.E. PA
    I've got a Dolphin pro II (the B.O. version)

...very light weight....balances well .....thin jazz-like neck......easy to play and throw around....

...no mistaking it for a Warwick though...... :)

I was looking to 'Off' it.........

PJR

11. DinoSco

DinoSco

Mar 8, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    What song did he use the upright on? Still can't figure out what he's using in "Spoon", but it sounds like a fretless with maybe a chorus effect in spots.

Anyway, I'm almost positive that he used the Dolphin on "Crush", and probably on "Pig". Most of the rest of the songs are done on 5-string. He was still using the Dolphin on the subsequent tour but seems to have retired it; I haven't seen it out since '99. He now almost exclusively uses Modulus Fleas, plus apparently a fretless Mod Q5 for a couple tunes.

Interesting to note: I found out recently from a Warwick rep that while Stefan played the boire rosewood Dolphin live, he used a custom maple Dolphin in the studio for those albums. Apparently he felt that the maple recorded better.

Dino