1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Domain name registration - Namecheap, GoDaddy, or...?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by FilterFunk, Jul 16, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Namecheap

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. GoDaddy

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Other

7 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Okay...no more hiding behind "Pookie"...:laugh:
    Registering an online business name, not domain (dot com) name

(For the record, I've done a LOT of research, including searching TB)
    I'm leaning toward Namecheap. They don't have the introductory .99 deal like GoDaddy, but it looks like you save money in the long run, and I like that Namecheap gives WhoisGuard protection for a lot cheaper than GoDaddy. The online reviews generally favor Namecheap. Of course, there are many other services, but I figure the two I've mentioned are big, well-established and likely to be around for a long time. I'm only looking to register the domain name - I have other ideas regarding where I'll build my website.

So...give me your opinions based on your experiences, please...Namecheap, GoDaddy, or some other service?

P.S. If you also have any insights on choosing a digital distribution service, please go to this thread: Digital distribution service - E-junkie, PayLoadz, other...?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  2. OldDog52

OldDog52 Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    FilterFunk likes this.
  3. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    NW Mass/SW VT
    I looked at godaddy since they were "cheaper" than the service my hosting service (asmallorange) defaults to (or possibly runs). The extra $3.50 per year was/is well worth not having my domain name associated with a bunch of scummy ads, thankyouverramuch. This appeared to be a standard part of the GD "service" at that time - I assume it still is but I'm not taking time to go look at what they say now .vs. then.

I know someone else I generally think has his head on straight that uses Tierra.Net for DNS.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    FilterFunk likes this.
  4. I’ve been involved in this business since 1999 and my advice would be to avoid GD like the plague. It’s almost impossible, and extremely time consuming, to disassociate from them once they get their hooks in you.

T_Bone_TL, OldDog52 and FilterFunk like this.
  5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I like Arvixe.

-Mike

6. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I moved to GoDaddy from Hostmonster; I'd recommend not going that direction, as GoDaddy upcharges you for almost everything, including email service.

FilterFunk and OldDog52 like this.
  7. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    NW Mass/SW VT
    Presumably you are talking about hosting, rather than "just DNS" as the OP was inquiring about?

I got sick and tired of changing my personal email and/or website with changes in ISP, employer, etc. and purchased my domain in 2008. I've used asmallorange as the DNS and hosting provider since then, and even their cheapest plan includes a lot... For folks with more serious business aspirations who are willing to make an annual payment you can even get the domain name "free" with an annual payment on a larger hosting plan - but that's not really the point. The point is that they provide an honest service at a fair price, without "gotcha's." And they really, really care about providing good service.

FilterFunk likes this.
  8. FilterFunk

Mar 31, 2010
    To clarify: I am looking for recommendations for domain name registration only in this thread. If your recommended DNS also provides excellent music site hosting, then I'm listening!

9. ptg

ptg

Mar 16, 2008
    I got rid of Go Daddy years ago for his obscene shooting (including a brutal graphic video) of an elephant.

I switched to 1&1 but only have some names parked there right now so I can't vouch for their service.

FilterFunk likes this.
  10. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

If that's ALL you need, just do a quick search online and pick the least expensive one.

11. FilterFunk

Mar 31, 2010
    My concern is registering with a service that might be here today and gone tomorrow. That's why I'm asking for first-hand opinions from those who've been with their DNS for a while. Also, it's good to hear about ethical issues and other concerns, especially if I do decide to bundle DNS and hosting.

12. FilterFunk

Mar 31, 2010
    I decided to go with Namecheap. Thanks for your responses!

13. hs123

hs123

Aug 11, 2011
    Westminster CO
    I use Hover..Real customer service

FilterFunk likes this.
  14. FilterFunk

Mar 31, 2010
    Hmmm...I didn't come across Hover while searching...I expect to be happy with Namecheap, but Hover seems like the barebones service I was looking for.

Is their free WHOIS privacy service only for the first year, or for as long as you use Hover?

15. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    Don't do GoDaddy: never have I seen so much spam in my life. Huge regrets.

FilterFunk likes this.
  16. hs123

hs123

Aug 11, 2011
    Westminster CO
    it is free if registered with hover. There is a checkbox in the 'Settings' area

FilterFunk likes this.
  17. FilterFunk

Mar 31, 2010
    Dang...I wish I'd been more patient and let this thread play out a little longer.

After the first year, when Namecheap starts charging for WHOIS Guard, the total will only be slightly more than Hover, because Namecheap's base price is lower. But I may transfer to Hover after a year anyway. It's the closest to what I was looking for in a domain name registrar. Thanks for the info!:thumbsup:

18. hs123

hs123

Aug 11, 2011
    Westminster CO
    I don't know that Hover is the least expensive, but I do know that every time I call or email, I get a human.
    They send me renewal/expiration emails about each domain I have registered at 30 days, 7 days and on renewal and they try to ensure I get .com, .info, .net, etc. for each domain.
    They also helped me extricate myself out of GoDaddy 'heck'.

FilterFunk likes this.
  19. FilterFunk

Mar 31, 2010
    If I feel good about Namecheap after a year, I'll probably stay with them, but Hover sounds like an excellent alternative.