Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

domestic distubance ends with police...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bob Clayton, Apr 13, 2003.

1. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    sorry guys....this is a long post...

i was at my friends house....it was me, him, and our drummer....we were having band practice, so to make more space we put two chairs on the sofa

my guitarists dad comes home, obviously having a bad day at work (he comes home for his lunch) and starts yelling at us because there are two chairs on the sofas and the sleeping bags aren't picked up and folded(me and the drummer spent the night)...

so we got the chairs off and his dad keeps yelling...and getting nasty...calling us ***holes, morons and saying stuff like "if you had a brain you'd be dangerous"....now remember all this is because two sleeping bags were on the floor...

so my friend (who we'll call J) stands up to his dad and tells him to knock it off, calm down and stop helling. well his dad open palm slaps him in the face, then pushes him back into the sofa...

well at this point J is pretty mad to ke jumps right back up at his dad....where is dad just knocks him down picks him up and throws him against the stairs...

at this point J is in a ball on the ground just trying to stay calm so maybe his dad will get some common sense...but no....his dad then puts his knee in J's back wraps his hands around his neck and BEGINS CHOKING HIS OWN SON!!!

and he had to know what he was doing because many times J said "dad get off i can't breath" so eventually his dad gets off...J picks up a symbol stand and threatens to beat his dad with it if he comes any closer...his dad then kicks us all out of the house...

first i check to make sure J is alright...he had some cuts and bruises...but no broken bones...so while J is taking a walk...calming down....i call 911 and explain what happened...

by the time the cop got there, J's dad went back to work(and we couldn't find J)...se the cop took mine and my friends story and said they would go to his work...

so about 5 minutes pass and J calls my cell phone saying he was in the shower and its ok to come back...so back in J's house we were talking and i learn that this has been going on for a LONG time....prolly one episode every 2 weeks...but he said this was the worst one so far...i then learned that he not only beat J...but also beat his sister...his mom and even his grandmother at one point...

at this point i had to leave to go to work....this all happened between 3:45 and 4:45...

sorry for the long post guys....i just had to get it out...i am really worried what J's dad might to to J if he found out that the police were called...im now questioning myself....did i do the right thing??

bp13

2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    If I saw ANYBODY hit one of my friends you can bet your @$$ Is be in his face and ready to do some damage if they threatened to hurt him again.

Thats just me though.

Peace
    Thor

3. Yea, you did, defiantly.

If J's dad finds out, J might be in danger, but the cops will clear that up before any more damage can be done, just my opinion.

You did do the right thing, thoughm and I hope everythign gets cleared up asap!

:meh: :D

4. moral of the story: Roll up your sleeping bags. ;)

Merls

5. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    You did the right thing.

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    You did the right thing. No question.

7. you definitely did the right thing. no one deserves to be treated and hurt that way. nobody. for no reason. abuse is abuse and you did the right thing. i hope all works out for your friend. stick by him because this is not done by a long shot. he will need your support. good luck and thank you for being such a god friend to him.

8. You did good, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

I hope that S.O.B. rots in hell.

9. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hell, yeah, you did the right thing. that prick needs to be packed away in a little box. underground.

10. Prime Mover

Prime Mover

Feb 16, 2003
    TN, USA
    I just can't beleive J's dad had the balls to do that in front of friends. Maybe it was a cry for help! I don't know. You did do the right thing, and MD is right. He is going to need your guys support because it is far from over. When the police hall his @ss away, he is going to be dealing with some emotional demons. Just be there with a shoulder to cry on.

11. that kind of behavior doesn't take balls.

12. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, in fact a conspicuous lack of balls is generally involved.

13. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Hell yes you did the right thing...

He fits into my list of people who need the death penalty...

Wife/Child/Family Beaters
    3x Offending Rapists
    Child Molestors
    Murderers
    And Mimes.

You did exactly the right thing, do not question that for a second. You have gotten a man off the street that beats his kids probably because he is insecure about the size of his testicles/lack of testicles.

14. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    but see i don't think the cop belived me...because the was only me (im 16) and the drummer (hes 13)...we could not find J to say that we were telling the truth...and his dad had already gone back to work...

im not sure the cop took us seriously...i have to call J tonight and find out...

bp13

15. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Dude, cops and prisoners have one thing in common.

They both HATE people who abuse their families. Child molestors/wife beaters etc... always end up being the prison b**ches. Unless of course they have lots of cigarettes...

The cops did take you seriously. Why would they think that you just called them, lied to them, just to make them come over there? You can go to jail for that.

They believed you, trust me.

16. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Man...that really makes me want to kick that guys a$$. I hear a lot of abuse stories in my job as a social worker with preteens. Normally I call Child Protective Services. They have the ability to remove the child from the home and they usually advise me on which instances I should also call the cops. This stuff is normally taken very seriously by all parties contacted so unless the local police dept. are total morons then it should get taken care of. It makes me so mad becuase those guys only seem to attack the weaker and smaller people. I normally just get the feeling of wishing they would take a swing at me.

brad cook

17. Prime Mover

Prime Mover

Feb 16, 2003
    TN, USA
    Dont question on whether he believed you or not due to your age. They have to take it seriously. Keep us posted on your friend J.

18. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Regardless of if the cop believed you or not, he WILL look into the matter. Obviously, he will need to talk to J at some point, and if Jay's injuries are visible, depending on what State you are in, arresting J's dad may be mandatory. You did the right thing. Discipline is one thing, but Pa sounded like he went way overboard..

19. If your friend wants a little more evidence, it may be advisable to photograph his injuries, if they are visible.

20. Thats horrible dude. Ive had the same situation happen to me before too, almost exactly the same.

Me and John were spending the night at Bob's house (im not using there real names) When Bob's dad came home, drunk, and started yelling at Bob for not picking up his room or something. Then Bob says "Ok ill get it done in a minute" and his dad went over and sat on Bob's back as a joke (so he thought). Bob was saying "Please get off I cant breath" and he wouldnt move so bob threw him off and his dad hit the table next to the couch. So both were standing up facing eachother when Bob's dad slapped him in the head, which then bob started to punch him and a fight ensued between father and son. Bobs mom told me to run upstairs and call the police, which I did. Eventually John and bobs mom pulled them apart and My friend had a bloody nose and a cut lip and his dad was a bitbruised. After that the dad ran from the house and the cops came, asked us questions and then went on the look for the dad. They found him and threw him in the Drunk Tank for the night. Pretty scary for a couple of 13 year olds.

Later I learned that another time I spent the night at his house His dad came home drunk again and punched Bob's mom in the face. After that he said "I dont deserve to live, kill me" and gave the wife his shotgun. Luckily she didnt shoot but called the police and pulled him away again. I guess this all happened while I was asleep because they never said anything about it the next morning.