Domestic Shipping Advice

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by yesdot, May 26, 2004.

1. yesdot

Mar 8, 2004
    Sydney Australia
    Seller has quoted "packaging by ups store...159.80

shipping... 220.38. insurance 24.00....."

from rural area (not exactly sure where yet) to CA. Does that seem reasonable, and could anyone suggest a packing / shipping company? Hard for me to research from overseas ...
  2. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    I do some work with NAVIS Pack & Ship Centers. For an item like a DB they will:

a) Come get it
    b) Pack it (if you want)
    c) Deliver it by ground in their own climate-controlled truck
    d) And even give you the driver's cel so you can check how it's doing

I bet they charge for that. I bet it's a small amount compared to the value of your fine instrument.

Further info: and you know what to do with _at_
  3. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    I seriously doubt that the UPS Store knows how to adequately pack an URB for shipment.
  4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    It'll have to go via freight. I shipped one about six months ago St. Louis to NC. It was about $125 via Overnight. I did the packing. I was fortunate enough to have kept the original shipping crate that it came to me in. Otherwise I can certainly see why someone would charge a great deal to properly secure one for shipping.
  5. yesdot

Mar 8, 2004
    Sydney Australia
    I agree. $159.80 is money well spent for a safe and secure DB. It's just that $220.38 seems quite expensive for shipping.

Chasarms, which freight company did you use? And Sam, many thanks for the contact. I'll look into NAVIS.
  6. greene

Dec 19, 2003
    New York City
    Ideal Music
    I can tell you what the shipping/insurance costs since I've been shipping on a regular basis for the last 5 months. However since we do the packing ourselves I wouldn't know what a private company would charge but shipping a bass from NYC to CA will cost about $150 (Watkins) and this price depending on northern or southern CA might fluxuate by $20 either way. I've never had a poblem of any sort and we use a special carton not a crate. It's all in the packing so make sure whoever packs it has lots of experience.
  7. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

Sorry. It's OverNITE Freight. I had to take it to the hub. They would have picked it up at the house but at a significant charge. The receiver also agreed to have it shipped to his place of business. That saved him a decent chunk of change. I think the residence-to-residence quote was well over $200.

If possible, ask the shipper to quote it with you picking it up at the hub. Not only will you save a few bucks, it is one less exchange, thus lowering damage risk.
  8. azflyman

Apr 24, 2004
    Astoria, OR
    The UPS store is what used to be Mail Boxes Etc. They have always been known to overcharge for packing but if it is broken the claim WILL be paid. If they pack and ship it usually does get there safe. I would ask the seller if there is a string shop near to propery pack the bass. A better idea would be to find a hard case. ship it to the person, and have them ship the bass back in the case. That would be the safest way to do this. I just received a broken bass and I can tell you it is no fun to have to refuse a shippment.

9. yesdot

Mar 8, 2004
    Sydney Australia
    I emailed a link to all the above suggestions to seller.
    Seller lives in Ashland, ky. Aparently he is unable to access any of the above services in his area (unless drives 200 miles). Any suggestions? Thanks...
  10. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Mine's coming via amtrak, about $75 each way.
  11. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    We just received a bass packed and shipped through the UPS Store. It was heavily packed, all sorts of bubble wrap and pieces of cardboard taped to it, shipped in a doublethick cardboard box. Looked very impressive, took at least fifteen minutes to get enough packing off it to find that the bass' neck was broken off, completely, just below the nut.

Sadly, I suspect it was largely because the only "UP" arrow on the box was written in light ink, barely visible. The trucker who dropped it off presented it to us upside down-- but we didn't know at the time, either. Big arrows may have helped, as I suspect it was transported on its head most of the time. Also, bubblewrap and pieces of cardboard added no vertical structural strength.

However, I think I'd still consider paying the extra to have them pack it, since there is no issue involving you if it is damaged in transit. Getting insurance payment for an instrument you packed yourself can be a nightmare.
  12. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.

The scroll has to be locked in place, and so does the heel. The brace you staple in around the heel has to be beefy enough to prevent the bass from sliding forward. This keeps the scroll from touching the end of the box when stood on end, which is my guess to your break at the nut. Handles help, because they help the handler do his job. If you don't give the guy handles, then it's likely that the box will be slid off the truck to the ground, at speed. We just cut them into the top with a stanley knife.
    That's a bummer Bob.
  13. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    We cut block styrofoam to support the bass to isolate it from and suspend it in the carton, and there is enough there to take a pretty good hit. However, there are some talented freight handlers out there ;) One heartbreak was seeing a left-handed special order bass inside one of our wooden crates pierced through and through by a forklift blade. No amount of packing is going to defeat a determined forklift driver.

Many moons ago a West coaster prepaid a storefront firm to handle the shipment of an old Kay I'd had for a while. He sent a monster padded case to put it in, properly prepared first, of course. The shipper made an oversized carton and then sealed the bass and inside of the box in heavy plastic, and then used expanding foam all around, to similarly isolate and suspend the bass. I was impressed.