Dominant D v Innovation

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by martinc, Jan 3, 2004.

1. martinc

martinc Supporting Member

Anyone tried both the Thomastik "D" and the Innovation solid core "D"?

I need to replace my Oliv G and D for the winter . The Dominant G I have seems to be a good substitute so I am thinking about ordering a D to go with it. I have tried the Innovation D but I found it too stiff and lifeless. How does the Dominant D compare with the Innovation D?

Martin C.
  2. on my school upright...(phrezthchner(pardon spelling)3/4...8 1/2 deep...thin general sound..42 1/4" string length...A string sounded amazing...same with E...G stuff was amazing especially higher...however the D string sounded a little dead...might just be my bass...try them thing you can do...
  3. I might add i have also used them on a shorter scale bass i used to have (spoiled by orchestra teacher) and they sounded amazing...i mean incredible...
  4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    If asked, I would classify Dominants as a slightly richer version of the Obligato. So, you can start your thought process there if you are familiar with the Obligato.

They sound VERY similar pizz and offer just a slighter richer arco sound. The nice thing is that Dominants come in a variety of tensions, so if you want the general sound and feel of Obligato along with the fairly good hybrid character, but can't stand the low tension, Dominants might be something to look into.

5. kwd

Jun 26, 2003
    silicon valley
    Thank you for the informative post. Given that it's available in a variety of tensions, is the Dominant still an option for us low-tension wimps? Obligatos will probably be the next string I try but I've been scared off by complaints of short life and instability. Are the Dominants better in these categories?
  6. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    In my experience, No. I assume it is the nature of the design, rather than the quality of the string.

Instability isn't really much of an issue with Obligatos or Dominants once they settle in. Over the first month or so on the bass, they will stretch a great deal, but after that, they settle in and aren't really any more fickle than anything else. They won't go crazy with climate changes like a gut string.

As for the short life, I don't have much of an experience with that. I have heard the same rumors. I have also heard that they don't react well at all to repeated removal and replacement or slacking and re-tensioning. Again, I think that is a product of the synthetic core, not poor quality.

If you really like the low tension feel, I'd go with the Obligatos and save a few dollars unless you play a great deal of arco. They are very soft and smooth under the left hand.

This string did spur me to look a little more into Dominants, and I think I was a little misleading about the available tensions. Actually, I was just wrong. Unlike most of Thomastik's strings, the Dominant is only available in two tensions. Orch and solo.

My first experience with them was with solos tuned to Orch pitch. This gives you a little softer feel than Obligatos.

I have played another bass with Orch. strings tuned standard and it was much stiffer than Obligatos.

While I am using Obligatos right now and am mostly happy, I sure would like to have a little more tension on the E String. I am seriously thinking of picking a Dominant E to see if it mixes well.
  7. delbass

Sep 9, 2003
    Albany, NY
    Let me know how the dominant E works with the obligatos if you get a chance....I'm curious. Thanks!
  8. The dominants i find dont work well with Ob's because the tonal difference is too great..Dominants can be very scratchy and have plenty of overtones...VERY stiff....Ob's are soft loose , thumpy and VERY smooth under the bow. I personally wouldnt recommend Dominants to anyone.
  9. olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    It works. For instance in Capuzzi concerto you have this strings crossing from G to E, and dominant E does respond fine.

I found more problem on chromatic run from Ab to A like in Blues March: the tone difference is bothersome, but only to me, bandmates didn't notice anything... yet
  10. olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    MERRY POSTER: I am sure that you are getting on the nerves of many TBers: This is becoming MerryPoster's Forum! You have posts all over the forum, which IMHO are not that helpfull. I am no moderator, neither completely innocent when it comes to pointless posts, but I think that you occupy way more bandwith than what's allowed by your short experience. You're like a young pup on the loose & I can appreciate your enthusiasm, but please refrein from cluttering all the threads with your posts if you got nothing constructive to offer. Here we are constructing some kind of knowledge base, and we need all kinds of people - especially expert players and luthiers, but it takes precious time to read and sort out the threads, so please avoid random noise, don't scare those busy older guys away.

Stick around, observe, speak when comes your time IF you got something usefull to say.

11. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Amen to that, Olivier!
    Felt the same way, but didn't have the guts to say it...

Bonne journée!