1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dominant signal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ga_edwards, Aug 31, 2008.

1. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    Not sure if this is in the right forum, but it's as good a place as any.

As I now have a shiny new Yamaha Attitude Ltd II, I thought I'd attempt at making the most of the 2 outputs and short of building a massive rack, I'm having right royal problems.

I've bought a little Art ABY box, that when used on it's own, one p/up in A, one in B, I can mix them and get full signal out of both pickups, so I know that's fine. What I'm trying to do however is process them both too. So I'm using one p/up through my Boss GT6B for compression, ampsim, dirt, and other fx, and also eqing out the low end. Then the 'woofer' pickup thru a little Korg AX3B soley for compression and maybe a little eq/amp sim.

When I put these between the bass and ABY box set to blend them both, I get full signal from the Korg but hardly any volume from the Boss. I get full signal from each if I choose only A or B, but not both.

I bought the ABY box as I tried doing the same thing with a Y cable and got the same result, so I thought a dedicated box would work better.

Short of buying a Line6 X3 live (which I seriously thinking about for a while now) which has 2 inputs and 2 individual signal paths that can be mixed together at output, I'm not sure how to get round this. I want to keep my rig as small, tidy, and light as poss, so adding mixers isn't really viable. I'd like to get it all in one bag, bar guitar and amp.

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    An ABY box in 'y' mode is exactly the same as a Y cable. Y cables are never, ever good for mixing. You 'may' be able to get acceptable results, but if you do you got lucky. You need an active blender like the Boss LS-2 or maybe a custom Barge unit.

3. hensonbass

hensonbass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
  4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    That's a splitter only, though, not a mixer.

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 You absolutely positively need a mixer/blender. Find one you like, your problems are solved, and your tone is your own.

6. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    Thanks for the suggestions. After much fiddling and re-routing, I have a sneaking suspicion there may be a an imedance mis-match somewhere, particualarly where the GT6B is involved.

I blender would do the job, but I don't think the Boss LS-2 will. Anyway, I've had the GT6B for a number of years and not over the moon with the tone, so rather than throwing money at a dedicated blender and still have a tone I'm not overly happy with, I think I'm gonna hold out and get the X3 live as soon as funds are available.

That way I'll be able to do it all in one unit rather than 3 and have a tone I like.

7. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

Amongst other things, the LS-2 is an actual blender.

8. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    Maybe so, but I still don't think it's gonna do what I want it to do going by the manual I downloaded, which is to:

Mix two signals (A+B) into one outputs and;
    press the button and use just one signal (A) when need to change to a 'normal' bass with a single output.

Correct me if I'm wrong but as far as I can work out, none of the modes will let me do this, I can't use say, bypass and A or B at the same time, then switch to bypass only, or use A+B, then switch to A only.

9. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

You can but it requires turning a knob. It can't be done with the footswitch.

10. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    Just to update, I've now solved the problem, taking a different route.

My amp has both regular 1/4" input and a balanced XLR input. I realised that the Boss has XLR outputs too. So after a bit of a fiddle last night, I plugged the boss into the XLR and the Korg into the 1/4" and hey presto, full signal from both. I do have to reduce the gain substantially on the amp to avoid clipping from the 2 signals, but it works.

Still thinking about the X3 live tho, a lot tidier, better quality sound, and all the ins and outs can be saved per patch, handy for when I change to a regular bass.

11. wizay

wizay

Mar 5, 2008
    Norway
    Hi!
    Im building a rig like that myself:) But im going to use the ampeg svp-cl to one channel of a poweramp and the ampeg bsp into the other channel of the poweramp:)