Dominants for orchestra

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Dr Rod, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Dr Rod

Dr Rod

Aug 19, 2005
    There is a recent thread where people have been raving about Dominants.

I would like to narrow down the comments from orchestral players on this thread, if you don't mind.

Any comments on Dominants for orchestral playing?

The description of the strings on Shar's website doesn't really agree with the comments on the other thread about great volume and presence. The website says: "Sound is soft, clear and rich in overtones."

Could it be that the Pizz is fantastic but the arco for orchestra doesn't have the volume of other strings?
  2. DonQuartz

Dec 18, 2004
    Once Dominants are worn in and settle down (one week), they have the most volume of any orchestral string I have experienced. They also offer terrific articulation.
  3. Dr Rod

Dr Rod

Aug 19, 2005
    Thanks Don,

in your experience, do they have a short lifespan? (as claimed by some)

You also mentioned in a different thread that you used a spirocore E, are you still doing that? what is it about the Dominant E that you don't like?
  4. B. Graham

B. Graham Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    I would agree wholeheartedly.

I've had an E break, but none others. There are a few threads about that. What I think does it (breaking) with the Dominant's is when you take them on and off. I had had no trouble at all until I started playing around the with afterlength of the tailcord and then tuned them back up.

There are other strings I would like to try, but of what I've tried, the Dominant's have been great for orchestra, chamber, and pizz playing as well.
  5. I broke my Dominant E as well. I was taking them off and on to try out on a few basses and I'm sure that's why it broke. Expensive lesson. The sound of these strings is amazing. However, I find them VERY scratch with the bow.
  6. Dr Rod

Dr Rod

Aug 19, 2005
    Mark, if I understand properly, you changed the whole set, but only the E broke (?)

does your compliment apply to all 4 strings?

You said it was an expensive lesson, have you contacted tomastik about it?

thanks everyone
  7. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    I broke my E string too, near the machine head after loosing and retuned again, no I change with Spirocore E.
    The sound and tone of dominant is more pleasant than Spiro, and smoother to bow too.
    Now I use detune Dominant Solo, it has just a little less loud, but other wise is awesome.
  8. Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Once the Dominants have fully settled and matured (a couple months, in my opinion) they sound unbelievable for orchestral playing. It's really a fabulous string all around.

None of mine has broken.
  9. Hey Doc...yes, I changed the whole set but only the E broke. Same as everyone the silk above the nut. Judging by the number of account of this happening, I'd say there is a flaw in the string. Thomastic is paying attention I hope, because as much as I love the sound of these strings, I'm not buying them again.

10. B. Graham

B. Graham Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    They replaced my E with no problems whatsoever, and I actually told them I'd find something else if this happened again. I really think they do care. They asked that I send back the broken E so they could send it on the engineers for analysis.
  11. Cool Bill. Did you go through their web site to log your complaint? I got my strings from a company in Toronto, but if I could talk directly, that would probably be better.

12. Any more comments about Dominants for Orchestra Arco?

So many players use steel/rope core strings - I have yet to be convinced to buy a set of Dominants. Of course that is the only way I'll know for sure!
  13. Dr Rod

Dr Rod

Aug 19, 2005
    Dear Al, I created this thread with the same concerns that you have, I can relate completely.

Two weeks ago I bought my first set of Dominants, and after many years of professional playing (classical/orchestral only) and many different types of strings, I really think these are the greatest I have ever played.

They don't stress the instrument because of their low tension, but their rigidity makes them very loud and articulate. For the first week I rosined up the lower strings to get a better grip.

Have you seen my thread on Dominant installation ?
  14. B. Graham

B. Graham Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    Yep. Sent an e-mail from the website, which was forwarded to the US distributor. I believe they replaced it because it was so soon after I strung them up. They may be less willing to replace strings with more miiles on them. Now that I know the best tips to install them, and to avoid taking them on and off if possible, I don't anticipate having anymore trouble.

I love 'em. Great strings for my bass.
  15. Thank you Dr. Rod. Now to get one step closer. I like my Stark Spirocore E for a permanent low D A d g tuning. I once read advice to not mix synthetic core (Obligato) strings with other strings / tensions. Now do you have any advice on mixing Dominants with my low D? Or, do you have any advice - like tune a Dominant E (IV) down to "D"?

I find your liking of the Dominant strings similar to my liking and use of the Obligato set for arco for a previous three year period. Thank you for any comments. (and the installation thread).
  16. Dr Rod

Dr Rod

Aug 19, 2005
    Dear Al

I think the spirocore stark will do a better job with the low D, I think the dominant will be too flabby. The dominant E is not a flabby string, I just don't think it will do as good a job as a low D.

experiment is the only true solution.

PS: IMHO dominants are far superior to the obligattos for orchestral playing, but they will require a break in period.
  17. Cudos to Elisabeth from Thomastik. I sent my broken Dominant E and they are sending me a new one. She did, however, reccommend that once the string is on, not to take it off. Weird...but that's the word.

18. Dr Rod

Dr Rod

Aug 19, 2005
    what she probably meant is not to take it off, put it back on, and so on.
  19. Hello Mark, You used to use Obligato? Would you care to COMPARE Obligato and Dominant? I like my steel strings:
    med flexocor g, med flex d, Helicore arco heavy A and Stark Spirocore E tuned down to D.
  20. jazzbassnerd

Aug 26, 2002
    I am also wondering how the dominants feel compared to steel strings and other perlon core strings (Obligatos and Heritage, if you can be that specific).