Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dominants - Have yours broken?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by larry, Jul 24, 2005.

1. larry

larry Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2004
    Florida
    Dominant users:

I'm ready to try something other than the Obligatos I've been using for the past couple of years. I'm playing a hybrid LaScala.

I've read the threads and it seems like positive results on the sound, but many of you have said they break easily.

The last thing I want is strings breaking on the bandstand. Are the stories of them breaking over-represented here, or is this a real possibility? Has the company addressed it if there is a problem? Any new info anyone might have? Or just post your experience, I'd really like to hear about it.

Thanks.

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Mine are fine so far, and I pound the crap out of 'em. :)

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I've read the posts referencing breakages, and they all specify it happened after the strings were taken off. My teacher's never had a problem with them regarding durability.

4. I have taken mine off and put them back on a total of 5 times now and no breakage. They still sound good too. I wish they would deaden up a little infact.

Jon

5. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    Don't scare me man. I have a previously used Dominant A on right now. I've never had any kind of string on me before and I sure as heck would like it to stay that way.

6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    ^^ Hell, if that doesn't for the durability of the string, then I don't know what will.

7. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Yep, I have broken a few now. I have never broken a D or G, but the E's don't last long IMO. I am always careful to put pencil lead in the grooves of the nut and bridge as well. One broke on a gig and I decided never to use a full set again.

8. Adrian Cho

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    Scary, scary, scary especially for critical gigs.

9. AMJBASS

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I think you only really need to worry about it if you have taken the string off and put it back on a couple times. Synthetic strings weaken every time you do this. I just don't trust them any more. Like I said though, I have never broken the D and G and I have had my current G on and off at least 4 times. Still, it is something to consider

10. Adrian Cho

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    OK, so that Dominant A you sent me that I am using now? How many times was it taken on and off before you gave it to me? :)

11. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I dunno - this kind of comes down to the old philosophical question of whether you should wear a hard hat in case you might be struck by falling debris. I just always carry spare strings and a winder in my bass bag. :)

12. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I played the solos tuned orch on my Swingelhardt. They were never removed. Two strings broke within 6 six months. I know know one was the A, but I can't recall if the other was the D or the E.

FWIW, I bought them at Mars out of a dump bin clear out. The guy manning the desk at the time said that had been there longer than his employment of three years.

They sounded great though. As soon as my flatchromesteels give out, I may give them another go.

13. Adrian Cho

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    I try and carry spare strings too but it's not good when you hear about breakages on for a certain kind of string. I never hear about breakages for most other strings.

14. larry

larry Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2004
    Florida
    I'm kind of a freak when it comes to making sure that nothing goes wrong on the gig. I actually keep a small, spare amp in my car as well as a slab in case I have any problems with my DB or my amp. I'm a nut.

I think my next string move is going to be Superflexibles. Arnold said he thought Spiros were a good match for the LaScala. I've just got to try one other string before going back to the Spiros. If I read correctly, Superflex is a steel string, but the core is braided instead of solid. So going back to steel from synthetic core won't be too much of a shock, and the stick will still be usable.

Anyway, thanks for the input on the Dominants. I will try them at some point I'm sure.

15. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Where's your next gig?

16. larry

larry Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2004
    Florida
    lol.

Yeah, it depends a bit on the neighborhood, but I can hide stuff in my car pretty easily. Miami would be another story if I was down there.

17. AMJBASS

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I honestly think that Spirocore Weichs bow better than Superflexibles. The Supers are fairly nice strings, but the set is not really balanced. I would go for the Spirocores!

18. larry

larry Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2004
    Florida
    From what I've read here, Superflex is darker than Weichs. I prefer a darker sound.

I have a bass I'm trying to sell that really needs new strings. If the Superflex don't work out, I'll stick 'em on the old bass and get some Weichs for my LaScala.

19. The cores are more delicate. You can't have too much of a sideways angle at the nut and you can't wind the string over itself. Age probably plays a part in the reliablility as well since the synthetic material probably get's more brittle with age. Even so, I can't see why they would be any less reliable than gut strings. I will keep mine on until I break one I guess and will carry spares from now on. I should point out that I use the orchestral gauge, not solo if that makes any difference.

Jon