Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dominants/Obligatos/Animas

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Freddels, Jun 11, 2005.

1. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Can anyone describe the differences between Dominants and Obligatos?

Also a comparison between Animas and Obligatos?

Tension, tone, expected life of string, etc.

I am currently using Obligatos and thus far I'm happy with them. Just wondering what else is out there. I've been intrigued with the Animas (as Rufus uses them and I like his sound). There's also been great things said about the Dominants.

Thanks,

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Think of the differences between Spiro Solo (yellow), Weich(purple), Mittel (red), and Stark (green) gauge strings. To my ears, the difference in tension and "balls" between the Dominants and the Oblis is kinda like the difference between the Starks and Weichs, or if you've never played the Starks, then use the Mittels and Solos as a comparison (with the Doms of course being the higher tension of the two).

For me, the Obligatos sound great, and give me astounding speed chops I never had before....in my living room only. Once on the gig, they get buried by a mouse fart (assuming the mouse ate at Taco Bell recently, of course). The Dominants also sound great, but make you really work to pull the sound, so they "encourage" you to play a bit slower and speak clearly, but what a sound...once on the gig, they hold their own with just about anything (insofar as an unamplified bass can hold its own - insert "old school no-amp" vs. modern "I use an amp when I feel it's needed" flame war here). They also amplify and record extremely well, which I can not say about the obligatos.

Can you tell I like the Dominants better?

P.S. - just realized (too late) that I just dogged your current string. DOH! Sorry...all just my .02c, of course. :oops:

3. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    For my take on the Obligato/Anima comparison, check out my last post in the "Velvet Anima vs. Garbo" thread. (Fred, I know it's pretty much the same info that we discussed via Email, just thought someone else might be interested).

4. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I'm no longer satisfied with the Obligatos for all the reasons Chris stated. He's right on the money so I won't repeat it. My next step is Dominants.

5. Freddels

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Well, I go see Arnold on Monday. After that I may try the Dominants (as they're only about a $134 experiment whereas the Animas are about $229). I just don't want too much tension though.

Thanks

6. I think the Animas are a good low tension string with a ballsy sound. I had Olbligatos on my bass in the past and hated them they were low tension but you couldn't dig in with them. I was reassured of this recently when I played a freinds bass with Oblis on it, they had a good sound but I felt like I was playing a bass with tuning dropped. I love the Animas they are low tension with a huge tone, you can dig into them and they scream. They bow wonderfully too. They are worth the $229.00.

7. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I'm diggin' the Anima arco sound more now. Took some getting used to (my shortcomings, not the strings'). One added little bonus; the slight roundness of the winding actually seems to "wake up" my fingers, I dunno, maybe it stimulates circulation. I played a double last night, and I came up ready for more at the end. The tension and balance, for me, is perfect.

The only downside that I've run into is, if you need to retune, the windings can cause an audible pop as they pass over the bridge. So it's best to make sure that you're in tune at the beginning and hope for no slippage. These strings stretch quite a bit over the first week or so. I know that I could alleviate the problem by modifying the bridge slots.

Mike, I agree with you, they're worth the $$$. I love 'em.

8. Is anyone else seeing damage to their fingerboard from Animas?

9. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Nope.

10. *sigh*

Ah, honey, you wouldn't mind if I dipped into our vacation money, would you? Yes, darling, I know I just spent $125 on a new set of strings, but these Animas are different. I promise--no more strings after this. For at least 3 months.

*Kroooonnnnnk* (sound of frying pan on skull)

11. FredH

FredH Supporting Member

I’m a string/fingerboard clean freak. I wipe down after every session and I have paid special attention to see if the animas are causing problems to the ebony. So at week 3 of using the velvets I haven’t seen any gouging or similar impressions on board. I do see strange patterns under the strings after playing a while but these go away after a go over with the cleaning cloth, so I chalk that up to finger funk.

I agree with Marcus about the "wake up" effect. Their fun to do hammer-on’s with and there’s a tactile feedback to them they almost seem to play themselves. The only downside I have now that they have stopped stretching is that I’ll have to add an adjuster to my bridge cause the strings vibrate further than my setup is for.

12. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Chris--

I guess that's what individual differences are all about. For me, the Oblogatos project quite well, even outdoors! I'd appreciate your commenting on two aspects. First, what is the relative gague of the Dominants vs. the Obligatos? Second, how do the Dominants compare to standard Orchestra Spirocores (tension, gague, sound). I have had Spirocores.

If only I could have another set of Lycons...

Les

13. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I can't comment on the gauge differences between them because it's been so long since I had the Obligatos on, but Phil M (UNCLETOAD) did a gauge measurement between Dominants, Spiro Starks, and one other string over in the Dominants thread, and I posted a soundclip of a duo recording where you can hear the sound of the Dominants very clearly over in the other thread.

The Dominants are a bit stiffer than regular Spirocores, and have a more organic sound (see soundclip). They have plenty of sustain and plenty of "pop" on the front of the pizz attack, and my bass mentor (an orchestra player) likes the way they bow and project. Good luck.

14. Freddels

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    What I would like to know is: What is the size of the mouse? What did the mouse eat at TacoBell (burrito, soft taco, etc.)?
    :meh:

15. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Much obliged!

16. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Um, maybe it was a rat...YEAH, THAT'S IT...it was a rat, and it was the size of a six pack of beer...yeah, and it ate like, four big-*ssed burritos with hot sauce, and...

Sorry Fred. Just in case you're wondering, no, shoe leather doesn't taste particularly good, not even with hot sauce. My bad. :oops:

17. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    I've been using Dominants for a couple months now. I'm done looking for awhile. I couldn't figure out what people liked in the Obligatos. Seemed wimpy. Rolled around under my fingers. For pizz, Dominants get a big front end to the note, if you pull hard it is very percussive. Longish sustain, not to far from spiro's. They can growl a bit if you setup that way. They are fat and round in the middle of the note. Not as metalic or upper midrangy as spiros. Their strength is in the low mids. Tension is pretty low by my standards, especially the E and A. I tried Garbos. Liked them too but the set I had was already pretty used up. E sucked. Dominants are so far my favority synthetic core string.