Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

don´t know what the title should be.. :)

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Squice, Mar 21, 2003.

1. I´m one of those who has just played for years, just self tought and just have been playing what feels and sounds right.. but now i´m having the urge to really know what i´m playing and why it should be as it is... i´m always reading posts where u are talking about I IV VI chords or progression or what ever. so i´m just wondering what this means..
    is it like if we are talking about C-major scale then the IV would be F and the VI A chord or whatever.. so by that I II IV, are u just talking about Root - 2nd - 3rd of the scale u are in..?

2. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
  3. How can u tell if the VI chord of C major scale is A minor not major,, is it becourse the relative scale of c major is A minor? or

4. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Because if it were major, it would contain a C#, and there's no C# in the C Major scale.

In C Major:

Chord I = C E G = C
    Chord ii = D F A = Dm
    Chord iii = E G B = Em
    Chord IV = F A C = F
    Chord V = G B D = G
    Chord vi = A C E = Am
    Chord vii = B D F = Bm(b5)

As you can see, chords 2, 3, and 6 are minor. For any of those chords to be major, they'd have to contain notes that aren't in the C Major scale, see?

You'll also notice that, from a notational point of view, capital Roman numerals are used to denote major chords, and lowercase ones are used to denote minor chords.

5. There is a great little tool called a "Bradleys Music Rule" made by Bradley music company. It has all the chord structures and is very usefull for those starting out in learning theory. I highly recommend it!