1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

don´t know what the title should be.. :)

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Squice, Mar 21, 2003.

1. I´m one of those who has just played for years, just self tought and just have been playing what feels and sounds right.. but now i´m having the urge to really know what i´m playing and why it should be as it is... i´m always reading posts where u are talking about I IV VI chords or progression or what ever. so i´m just wondering what this means..
    is it like if we are talking about C-major scale then the IV would be F and the VI A chord or whatever.. so by that I II IV, are u just talking about Root - 2nd - 3rd of the scale u are in..?

2. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
  3. How can u tell if the VI chord of C major scale is A minor not major,, is it becourse the relative scale of c major is A minor? or

4. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Because if it were major, it would contain a C#, and there's no C# in the C Major scale.

In C Major:

Chord I = C E G = C
    Chord ii = D F A = Dm
    Chord iii = E G B = Em
    Chord IV = F A C = F
    Chord V = G B D = G
    Chord vi = A C E = Am
    Chord vii = B D F = Bm(b5)

As you can see, chords 2, 3, and 6 are minor. For any of those chords to be major, they'd have to contain notes that aren't in the C Major scale, see?

You'll also notice that, from a notational point of view, capital Roman numerals are used to denote major chords, and lowercase ones are used to denote minor chords.

5. There is a great little tool called a "Bradleys Music Rule" made by Bradley music company. It has all the chord structures and is very usefull for those starting out in learning theory. I highly recommend it!