Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Don´t know what to do (4 or 5 string)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheInsane, Aug 3, 2002.

1. Oh my... I have descision problems right now. I have posted numerous topics (well 2 at least :)) about me bying a new bass. First I was open to almost anything and then I almost excluded the 4-strings in favor of the 5-string basses... Until yesterday when I though to myself "do I really need a extra string?" Well I am very unsecure with what to do at this point. Does playing metal (all from power metal to black metal) really require 5-strings? Probably not but is it a good addition or is it mostly just extra weight? Man I am really confused. I do not play in a group right now but I may have a power metal group thing going later this year. This is just a desperation post. What are your thoughts on this?

2. Hey, if i were you i would go with the 5-string. its really useful to have especially for metal bassists and your not losing anything your gaining. well thats my thoughts on it so good luck!

morty :D

3. What do the bassists with the groups you really like play? 4 or 5? If any particular bassist inspires you to the point where you want to learn their lines, you will probably want a bass that has the same number of strings.

Good Luck!!
    Jeff

4. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    A 5 is required for most nu-metal.

5. Just for the record... I love pretty much ALL styles of metal without any rap elements. So nu-metal is out of the question.

Well, I picked out 9 random cd´s from my collection to look up....

Megadeth - both 4 and 5 string I believe
    Dimmu Borgir - 4 string
    Marduk - Don´t know. But a recomendation; listen to B Wars bass playing. He is fenomenal and he plays with his fingers (VERY impressive)
    Cradle of Filth - 4 string I think
    Dark Funeral - 4 string
    Metallica - 4 -string
    Dream Theater - 4, 5, 6 and 8 string hehe
    Slayer - 4 string
    Hammerfall - 4 string

Mostly 4-stringers there but I am still unsure of what to do :(....

6. Harpo

Harpo

Feb 1, 2001
    Kings Park NY
    Play what you feel the most comfortable on

7. you said metallica use 4 string but from my knowlage jason newsted used 5-strings

8. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    dont even get me started on this...... "required"?
    ???

:rolleyes:

9. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    Lookt at it like this:

What are the liabilities for buying a 4 or a 5?

If you buy a 4 you will probably want a 5 one day anyway...

You don't HAVE to use the B string just b/c it is there. Nice *option* or *tool* to have at your disposal though, right?

More and more bassists are moving to a 5 string after they cut their teeth with a 4 (although I always recommend bassists start with a 5 anyway). The majority of basses purchased over a thousand dollars are 5 strings.

I disagree with the "what are your favorite artists using" measure. Are you just playing bass to simulate your favorite bass players or do you want to forge your own identity?

Once again, there isn't anything you can do on a 4 that you can't do on a 5. The reverse is not true...or if JR wants to be technical...there are VERY FEW things you can do on a 4 that you can't do on a 5, but there are MANY things you can do on a 5 that you can't do on a 4.

5 strings tend to be better made instruments, and b/c of the slightly bigger bodies, they tend to sustain more (generalization, yes I know there are crappy 5's out there)

5 vs 4 is all perception...seems like so much more to deal with...lately I have been messing with a new 6 string, and now the 5 seems much easier to deal with, t hinner neck especially, and much wider string spacing. It is all perception.

10. You're accusing ME of being technical, Mr. Millimeter Man??!!!

:D

BTW, I don't think you read my reply accurately - I didn't say anything about simulating anyone's playing, only learning lines.

11. Well sorry about that one... I do believe Burton used 4-strings (when metallica was actually a real good band) and Jason uses both 4 and 5-strings.

And to pd_5string:

You make some excellent points about 4 vs 5-strings. And as already said I do own a 4-string already and I´m not planning on selling it either. Heck, I think I will go with the 5-sting now :).

From those I have tried I loved the Warwick Corvette. I will test play it some more but I think this is the 5-string bass for me.

Thanks for all replies.

12. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    Sounds like a "technical" distinction without a real difference to me. In fact, the difference between what you said and what I said, is about 1.4567 x10-5 millimeters :D

13. Get a 4 and a 5. Problem solved:). If your in a working band most likely in less than 6 months you will have made enough money to pay for both of them anyway.

14. Sprinkler

Sprinkler [account disabled]

Jul 31, 2002
    that's a nice list. Just buy a bass you like, without looking at the number of strings. A 5 string bass can give a group a darker tone though.

(marduk uses a 4 string. cannibal corpse has the most impressive lines, IMHO ;p)
    marduk:[​IMG]

15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Five-string. Hands down.

p.s. Doesn't Marduk know that's been done before? Boy, that's dumb.

16. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Are we forgetting the possibility of a BEAD 4 string?
    B string with the feel of a 4. Of course, you sacrifice a G string, but dealing with metal, are you really gonna miss that string a whole lot?

17. Sprinkler:

I haven´t really listened to Cannibal Corpse that much but I will probably go more into them. And for excellent bass work by Marduk check out the "La Grande Danse Macabre" record. Just that damn good.

Munjibunga:

I do believe they know many people do the "black metal" thing but thay have existed since 1990 so they are more experienced than other bands (they have released 15 records even though some are MCD and live). They are just a great band.

Brendan

Hehe, a BEAD bass. Never heard of that one. But I want my G string for soloes (ala Pulling Teeth).

I think I will go for the Warwick Crivette 5-string (BEADG).

18. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Yeah, Gene Simmons and Lemmy called. They want their gear back.:D

19. LowEndRider

LowEndRider Guest

Mar 4, 2002
    Australia
    You're missing the point guys......Just buy One of Each!.....
    ( 4 str + 5 str )

20. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Or, buy one nine-string. Problem solved. Or NO! A double neck! Yeah, That's the ticket!