1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Don’t like tweeters anymore

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mr.Ace, Dec 8, 2017.

1. Mr.Ace

Mr.Ace Bass players rule!

Sep 8, 2015
    Pompano Beach FL
    Endorsed by Fusion ( maker of killer gig bags)
    I’ve decided I that I know longer enjoy the sound of a Horn in my cabinets. I either turn them to 0, or unterminate the internal wiring. I’m wondering if I’m in the minority?

xJasonSmithx and craigie like this.
  2. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao: You might want to edit your thread title. Oh, not on talk bass your not.

BadExample and Mr.Ace like this.
  3. The OP can edit the title anytime in the first month after starting the thread.

No tweeters for me either, because I play with too much distortion & it wrecks them.

alesreaper9, Adienn7 and Mr.Ace like this.
  4. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    There's a right way and a wrong way to disconnect a tweeter--the wrong way leaves the highpass filter in the circuit showing a zero-ohm load or something similar to your amp (not good), but I'm too lazy to do a search and give you the threads where it's explained. Turning the pad down all the way can also burn up the pad, so do your research before ditching the tweeter. Peace, Bob

LiquidMidnight and Mr.Ace like this.
  5. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    I suggest Getting a tech to setup the cab so the jack wires go directly to your speaker if you're not familiar or comfortable with the process.

BadExample and Mr.Ace like this.
  6. Tweeters are for birds.;) Never had any use for them.

danomite64, alesreaper9 and Mr.Ace like this.
  7. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Be careful pulling of the wires to your speaker horns. You could change the ohms and fry an amp or loose about half your output. Best to turn the dial off.

Not only is my tweeter turned to zero but my amp is EQed to not go into that frequency range. So, my tweeter wouldn't even work if I had it all the way on.

"We don't need no stinking tweeters!"

Gearhead17, alesreaper9 and Mr.Ace like this.
  8. Mr.Ace

Mr.Ace Bass players rule!

Sep 8, 2015
    Pompano Beach FL
    Endorsed by Fusion ( maker of killer gig bags)
    Thanks for all the info. It appears that there's more to it then I thought. I think I’m the future I’ll bye cabs with no tweeter. Not sure what the point of them is anyway. They just seem to ruin my tone.

bassdude51 likes this.
  9. blowinblue

blowinblue Blue in name only. Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2006
    SoCal USA
    I have a cab with a tweeter and run it about halfway up, but my basic philosophy remains the same. Bass should be more about woofin'...less about tweetin'.

M. M.

10. kpc

kpc

Apr 6, 2011
    I don't use the tweeter either. I turn it off. I've never burnt the L-pad either.....ever.

Mr.Ace likes this.
  11. JGbassman

JGbassman Supporting Member

May 31, 2011
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    I turn mine to zero as well

12. headband

headband

Oct 18, 2013
    Lake Havasu City
    I have turned mine down for years, playing 3 to 4 shows a week and never had any failures from it.

Mr.Ace likes this.
  13. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    When I first started playing bass I uses the tweeter on my Carvin BR-510 more. But over time I started noticing the shrill high end it added in some cases. Made some stuff like slap sound pretty harsh.

Now I guess I leave it at 1 position above off which is -12db and I haven't noticed any issues. Also when turned up fully I noticed it add some background noise, probably just from the higher frequencies being let through.

Would be cool if you could actually control the tweeters range more, even a single fine tune HPF knob or something could be really useful.

Mr.Ace likes this.
  14. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

agreed! :thumbsup:

Mr.Ace and Sunset Shalom like this.
  15. I have one in my top cab but I cut the level on the back of the cab to around 10:00-11:00. I do like having it when I’m using my clean tone. Not really a fan for dirty tones. Over the years I’ve found some dirt pedals that have features like a good eq or a filter on them to help keep the dirt out of those frequencies.

Mr.Ace likes this.
  16. non

non

Aug 4, 2015
    on my tce rh750 i have tweeter tone turned all the way down and the l pads turn all the way down for good measure.

Mr.Ace likes this.
  17. Doesn't the crossover nullify any ill effects of impedance change if you removed the tweeter from the circuit?
    I mean, first of all the crossover isn't allowing the full power through to the tweeter anyway.
    oops, haven't got 2nd of all...

Mr.Ace likes this.
  18. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    Parametric eq., Adjustable Low Pass Filter or programmable eq. might do what you want.

Mr.Ace and JRA like this.
  19. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i think you're right!

but for me: as i age i'm getting lazier, so = a knob on the combo amp (courtesy of the manufacturer!) which makes it easy to dial in --- in that moment, in that room/setting.

sort of a laziness for dummies knob! ;)

Mr.Ace likes this.
  20. Thumpin6string

Thumpin6string Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Redding CA
    I like my tweeter. Usually I have it between half way and full up, but I have a 6 string so it gets used when I play the upper register. I could see it not being as useful with a 4 or 5 string.

Mr.Ace likes this.