Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Don Higdon Remanufactured

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by arnoldschnitzer, Apr 6, 2003.

1. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    I had the pleasure of adjusting a bass for our esteemed moderator yesterday. Don has become a zealot for Alexander Technique, and rattled on (coherently!) for quite a while about how it has changed his life. All I know is, he's thin, he got taller, and he looks younger. He's got that wild look in his eye that people get when they've found "THE ANSWER", but hey, he seems to be doing amazingly well. Perhaps Mr. Higdon could chime in with some well-reasoned information about this life-affirming "learning system"...I for one am thinking seriously about giving it a look myself. If only it could do something for my thinning hair...

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    He got taller?

Seriously, I'd like to hear more about this myself. Dono's been pretty scarce around here lately, and it'd be great to catch up. Especially if he's found THE ANSWER....hell, I haven't even figured out what THE QUESTION is yet.

3. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    THERE IS NO SPOON...

4. It's hard to talk about Alexander for a few reasons.
    At the risk of sounding like a Beverly Hills trend hopper, its effect on me has been to alter the course of my life. My Alexander teacher is the most important teacher I've ever had.
    Another problem is the catch-22 under any explanation of the Alexander Technique to someone who has not experienced it. It is a psychophysical learning, re-education of sorts, and the mind, the thing used to render judgement of it, is also the very thing that must be changed.
    One of the world's foremost teachers, with whom I had a lesson, has written of the near impossibility of describing it.
    I'm left to write either a paragraph or a book about it. Choosing the former, I'll just drop one line from the aforementioned teacher, which scratches the surface:
    "My job as a teacher is to get you to stop behaving normally, and to start behaving naturally."
    I'm on that road, and I and my family are happy about it. I have entered a 3 year program to become certified as a teacher of the Technique.
    I'll do my best to answer public or private questions, and I'm searching for a teacher near to my esteemed follicularly challenged luthier.

5. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    I'm not "Folicularly Challenged". I'm...I'm...I'm...BALDING!!! BALDING!!! BALDING!!!

6. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

I prefer to think of it as simply having a low maintenance head. Who needs shampoo?

7. "Welcome to MindHead..."

8. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    Don,

Does the Alexander Technique in any way parallel the string games created by Phyllis Young?

Her books were recommended to me during my first couple of lessons by my teacher, but since I'm on a tight budget I've continually failed to purchase them. However, I just discovered our community college library has her books, and I've been changed by some of the games she's illustrated during my practice...my teacher doesn't even know I've discovered her books yet.

If the Alexander Technique teaches one to avoid tension and discomfort as much as possible during playing, then I want to recommend Phyllis Young's books to you and solicit your feedback.

9. There is no connection whatsoever between the two.

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Actually this is one of the things they mentioned when I took some classes on the Alexander Technique - you can stretch out your back and improve posture - which can mean you are slightly taller - seriously!!

I know this is true as recurring back problems have made me shorter - so when I was 19, I was measured for medical records as 5' 11½" - but since having back problems, I am about 5' 10".
    I think if I took AT seriously and did more stretches/exercises - I could get back those 1.5 inches!! :)

11. Tim Ludlam

Tim Ludlam

Dec 19, 1999
    Carmel, IN
    Alright, since Don is going to remain tight-lipped on his venture into the Alexander Technique, let me refer you all to a brief overview inBASS WORLD Volume 26, #2, 2002 entitled How Body Mapping and the Alexander Technique Will Improve Your Playing, by David Nesmith.

Don, is it true that part of your 3 year journey involves giving up all your worldly possesions and shaving your head?

Keep us informed.

12. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Tim, you're such a tease! :p

I clicked on your underlined text, thinking it would be a link to the thing you were talking about and - nothing! It's the internet equivalent of Wile E. Coyote running into a tunnel painted on the side of a brick wall.

For the benefit of others, you can see the article here.

13. Well, all too soon I'll be able to get the same effect without having to shave anything.

Thanks to Bye-Bye for the proper link to the article, which itself has excellent links for those interested in reading what Alexander is about (to the extent that reading about it will help one to understand it, which, unfortunately is not much. Alexander must be experienced in depth for understanding to occur.)

14. Tim Ludlam

Tim Ludlam

Dec 19, 1999
    Carmel, IN
    Thanks Blackbird for the link. I'm not sure why I didn't link it myself.