Donald "Duck" Dunn

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Erlendur Már, Apr 2, 2001.

1. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I was wondering..I don´t think I´ve heard any recordings he has played on, could someone name something good I should check out..?
  2. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I saw him play with Neil Young, Spooner Oldham, and all sorts of guys last summer at the Gorge in Washington. Incredible. Didn't he also play with Booker T?
  3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Yep. The MG's (Stax house rhythm section) were built around Booker T., Dunn, Steve Cropper (sp?) and Al Jackson Jr. When Jerry Wexler of Atlantic records signed the deal with STAX, they ended up backing what are now considered to be some of the greatest acts of the classic soul era: Wilson Pickett, Sam & Dave, and Otis Redding. Dunn tells a great story about his reaction to playing at the Monterey festival in '67....he thought he was just going to a gig, showed up in a green mohair suit, and discovered that the audience was populated with thousands of hippie "Flower children", which he had not seen back home in Memphis. His first reaction was, "oh, man...the world is coming to an end".
  4. Yeah, He's definitely a guy that's been around. He's also one of those Jamerson types that never changes his strings unless they break, and only has Two Basses! :eek:
    If you ask him about it, He just says "Yup. Usta have three, but one of 'em went down with Otis"..
  5. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    This guy is SOOO cool...and Chris-great story!:D
  6. You have probably heard more recordings of his playing than you know........