donald duck dunn

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by barroso, Aug 18, 2001.

1. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    is there a website where i can have more informations on donald dunn works and life? thanks
  2. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    thanks a lot lizardking!
    isn't strange that this post has received so few visits? is donald not so famous?
  3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    There is also a book called "What Duck Done," I believe. Although, I am not sure if it is simply sheet music, or if it has some biographical info, as well.

EDIT-Here is the scoop from

"Book Description
    "What Duck Done" is an in-depth study of legendary bassist Donald "Duck" Dunn. The book contains 33 transcriptions of many of Duck's more famous works. Included are a breif biography, an analysis of Duck's playing and equipment, a selected discography and anecdotes from many of Duck's peers. Also included is a Double CD package with all the transcriptions played in their entirety. Tim Tindall performs the bass with full rhythm section accompaniment."

When I was in Orlando a couple of weeks ago, I picked up a back issue of Bass Frontiers with Duck Dunn on the cover at Bass Central. I'll find out what issue it is, and let you know. You can give Grasshopper, and Gard a call, and I'm sure they'd be happy to sell you a copy, and mail it to you.

EDIT- I just checked the bass frontiers website, and their back issue information is incomplete. But, if you just call Bass Central, I'm sure they can find it on their back issue rack with little problem. You could alwasy PM Gard, too.
  4. Mr. X

Mr. X

Mar 29, 2001
    Duck Dunn IS the master of the "tastiest" grooves. His playing is simple, yet always perfect for the song. H'e definitely up there on my bass players list.
  5. it amazes me that a duck dunn forum has like 5 posts but posts for mudvanes bassist has like 4 pages worth of polls.....oh well kids today;)
  6. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Johny Boy, don't despair. Dunn has been playing bass for what...more than thirty years? He is still going strong. He has many admirers, myself included.

Will people still be posting about the MudVayne bassist thirty years from now? Will he still be an active bassist thirty years from now and will he have the extensive catalog of recordings on which he has played as compared to that of Duck Dunn?

Even if he does, he will be rewarded with a post that has five or six replies while some hot new bassist for the latest hot new band gets four pages of replies. I guess that is the way of the world.
  7. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Every time I get too geeked up about my own playing abilities....I listen to some of Duck's playing....
    and it puts me back in my place.;)
  8. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I agree, dude. Duck is one of the most important bassists of all time.

Wait - I know how to liven this thread up and increase the number of posts!!!

FiElDy SUCKS!
  9. Very true Jason Oldstead if any bass player has done a quarter of what Mr.Dunn has done he would be considered very successful.By the way Ifoubd this Booker T album called Mcelmore Ave or something(I dont have it in front of me right now)well they cover all of Abbey Road.It is one slamming album.
  10. BWB

Aug 30, 2000
    Knoxville TN
    Will people still be posting about the MudVayne bassist thirty years from now? Will he still be an active bassist thirty years from now and will he have the extensive catalog of recordings on which he has played as compared to that of Duck Dunn?

The answer to that is a big fat

Will MudVayne ever write a complete catalog of
    classic tunes that people will still be playing
    probably 100 years from now.

Will the music industry never stop shoveling
    drivel like MudVayne down the pipe toward us?

See? Easy.
  11. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Dunn's been my favorite bass player for a few years now, ever since I gave The Blues Brothers a look-over. I'm in the prime age group for all of that nu-metal stuff, but I just can't dig it. I'd rather listen to Booker T. any day. But that's just me. Dunn is the epitome of tasteful bass playing to me.
  12. DDD is a great player, and a heck of a nice guy!

He's one of the best in my book.
  13. I just started with a new band that does both covers and originals. I'm in the process of learning 30 songs for a gig we're supposed to do in a couple of weeks. One of the songs is Dock of the Bay by Otis Redding. I always thought it was a cool song but now I know why. DDD's bass line is the song!;) Well, maybe not the whole song, but it's still pretty cool.:)
  14. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    what about posting your favorite song played and recorded by DDD? for me it's an hard choice. let me know yours!
  15. My favorite DDD stuff would definately be the groove that he gave The Blues Brothers Band (Im not really familiar with Booker T), he played brilliantly on songs like 'Give Me Some Lovin', and 'Sweet Home Chicago'. He even sounded great on the more novelty songs like 'Rawhide' and 'Ghost Riders In The Sky'.
  16. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    i listened to some stuff by booker T. WONDERFUL!!
    Duck is the best!!!