Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Donald Erb question

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by dhosek, Mar 2, 2001.

1. dhosek

dhosek

May 25, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm looking over the Donald Erb "A Scherzo" (from his "Three pieces for Double Bass Alone") and notice that there are GDAE marked with 0 which I would expect means that's an open string. OK. But then there's also a high D marked with the 0 as well. Is that to be played as a 2nd partial on the D string? 3rd on the G?

-dh

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Nick is right. Further, a "zero" over a note means that it is a harmonic that is to sound at the same pitch as notated. That should give you a clue about where to play it. Typical orchestration training allows for this notation when the harmonic is a fairly obvious one (i.e. - simple for the player to find). If there is any question about where to best play it, most composers will be more specific.

3. dhosek

dhosek

May 25, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    Well, I've realized that I will have to pick up a recording of the piece in any case: I've identified at least two errors in the printed score already (a missing arco designation and (presumably) a missing accidental (the alternative being a stray accidental)). That aside, this looks like a fun set of solo pieces to play. I'm thinking of playing the "col legno battuto with chopsticks" using my funk fingers, but I'll listen to the Turetzky recording first.

-dh

4. Which string you use for the harmonic depends on the notes before and after. You have to analyze the fingering of the whole passage.

5. dhosek

dhosek

May 25, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    The pieces were recorded by Bertram Turetzky. It's a new recording but I did manage to find it at amazon.com:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00004UAIL/donhosek

It's a collections of short works by Erb. The other suites are for string quartet, cello, and piano/violin. I've got it on order & will let you know how it sounds once it arrives.

-dh