Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Donald Fagen's "Morph the Cat"

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Kid Charlemagne, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Kid Charlemagne

Kid Charlemagne

May 29, 2002
    Europe
    First impressions:

Wow.
    This might be one of the best sounding records ever made. Every nuance of each instrument is present. I actually think that I need to buy the 5.1 version as well when it is released.

Great songs - IMO this is a much better album than either of the two newer Steely Dan records. Fantastic lyrics - as always.

Superb bass playing from Freddie Washington - great touch, feel and sound all the way through. No shadow on Tom Barney (or Walter Becker), but this is IMO the best bass playing on a Becker/Fagen record since Marcus Millers' fabulous work on "The Nightfly".

This album might not be the grindcore or surfpunk lovers' cup of tea, but for anybody who can appreciate fantastic craftmanship, sound and songwriting this is a recording to get.

What do you think?

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Mine's in the mail...sorta. I pre-ordered it along with something else that's not out until the end of the month. Guess I gotta wait a couple more weeks.
    The sound clips I sampled sounded great.

...and don't forget about Anthony Jackson' stellar basslines on The Night Fly(+ Rainey's & Will Lee's).

3. Kid Charlemagne

Kid Charlemagne

May 29, 2002
    Europe
    They're hard to forget!

Nah, I just happened to mention Marcus' basslines, supposedly because my ipod played "The Goodbye Look" for me yesterday morning...

:)

4. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    When and where did you pick this up?
    I was told (at the local Tower Records) that it was to be released on the 7th. I went in on the 7th and was told it didn't show up and was pushed back. :bawl:

5. Kid Charlemagne

Kid Charlemagne

May 29, 2002
    Europe
    It is released today here in europe. But I have connections and got my hands on an advance copy two days ago (I'm sorta in the business).
    I just assumed that it already had been released in the US, or that some of you bought the tracks from itunes...

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

7. Kid Charlemagne

Kid Charlemagne

May 29, 2002
    Europe
    Stockholm, Sweden. The same goes for the UK too, i am told.

8. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I think Marcus plays on "Maxine" (Nightfly) as well. It's either him or Abe.

9. Kid Charlemagne

Kid Charlemagne

May 29, 2002
    Europe
    Yep, it's Marcus. He also plays on the song "The Nightfly" and, as mentioned, "The Goodbye Look". Abe only plays on "New Frontier".

10. Amazon.com emailed that mine shipped yesterday... so I assume I will have it tomorrow. Thanks for the review.

I will be seeing the band Thursday night at the Detroit Opera House:)

11. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Thanks Kid. BTW, one of my favorite Fagen basslines, is the one from "Trans Island Skyway". I love that song!

12. Kid Charlemagne

Kid Charlemagne

May 29, 2002
    Europe
    ¨

:eek:

Oh, the envy...

13. Kid Charlemagne

Kid Charlemagne

May 29, 2002
    Europe
    I agree, Kamakiriad is very under-rated. "Snowbound" is another great track.

14. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    It was a great concept album, IMO. I was at the record store BEFORE it opened to buy it.

15. Kid Charlemagne

Kid Charlemagne

May 29, 2002
    Europe
    You will love the new album, I'm sure! :)

16. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

Abe Laboriel on "New Frontier"

17. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    LOVE THIS RECORD!!! especially the first two cuts. Beautiful!1 Donalds vocals always sound great.

18. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I see I pre-ordered the album w/ DVD...what's the DVD about?

19. VJP

VJP Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2001
    NJ
    Picked it up today.REALLY diggin' it so far. Freddie Washington is groovin' and you can really hear his Ken Smith at times. It's cool. Pick it up.

20. Hi Jim, It's a 2 disc package with the audio CD as the 1st disc. The second disc is a DVD that has the entire album mixed for Dolby Stereo, and Dolby DTS 5.1 and 2 Advanced Resolution mixes for DVD-audio players. Well worth the extra few bucks IMO if you have a surround sound system, I have the front 5 w/o back speakers and it sounds awesome. :hyper:
    Sorry ya gotta wait on it though:(

Been spinnin' it all day, WOW. Donald is referring to this as the final chapter in his solo trilogy so am listening to it that way and it's working so far half way thru Kamakiriad. Sonically the new cd is more modern but the other cds hold their own in the regular stereo mix.