Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Donald Raphael Garrett

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by dhadleyray, Dec 23, 2004.

1. dhadleyray

dhadleyray Guest

Dec 7, 2004
    I was wondering... Has anyone ever heard of a bassist named Donald Raphael Garrett? He used to play with Sun Ra and John Coltrane. I studied with him in Illinois in the late eighties for awhile. Unfortunately, he died in Champaign IL. in the early 90's. I was in Philly studying with Gerald Veasley, and he knew about Raphael. He's mentioned in a few biographies on Coltrane, but I can't find any records. I know the question is somewhat obtuse, but miracles can happen... or so I've heard. :)

2. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK
    I know very little about him, but he plays bass clarinet on a few Coltrane records. Not 100% sure which ones, but if my memory is correct then "Kulu Se Mama" and "Impressions"

3. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK
    a quick web-search just showed that he's on Coltranes "Live in Seattle", (I think on b clarinet), and that he worked with Alice Coltrane and Frank Lowe

4. M Paroo

M Paroo

Jan 2, 2004
    River City
    I ran across this list of selected recordings in Groves Dictionary of Jazz ...

As sideman: J. Coltrane: Live in Seattle (1965, Imp. 9202-2); Om (1965, Imp. 9140); Kulu se mama (1965, Imp. 9106); on [various artists]: Live at the Festival (1970–73, Enja 2030), A. Shepp: Sonny’s Back (1973); J. Jarman and D. Moye: Earth Passage-density (1981, BS 0052); Jazz Doctors: The Jazz Doctors (1983, Cadillac 1011); K. El’Zabar: Sacred Love (1985, Sound Aspects 021).​

The brief bio lists some of the others he played/recorded with ... Ira Sullivan, Roland Kirk, the Experimental Band, the Sea Ensemble.

~ Mari

5. dhadleyray

dhadleyray Guest

Dec 7, 2004
    I'm speechless... I really appreciate the replys. I've been reflecting on a few opportunities I should have explored more. It's kinda strange that for awhile in my life, when I mentioned to people I studied with Raphael, the older cats gave me a lot of respect. I didn't understand who he was until he was gone. I also learned from Pete Bridgewater. Not about theory, but little lessons or tricks he'd play on me. Now he's gone too. I live in London now and I find the music community a little "cold." there isn't that much work, and being a "Philly" guy, I try to help anyone that approaches me. In Philly the community was more open and the cats took you under their wing.(Gerald Veaslet, Jamalaadeen Tacuma) Here everyone seems to worry that you'll take their gig. Also, there are a lot of people around that should still be practicing at home. Therer is a trend of learning just enough to get by. Younger players I meet feel they deserve the success without paying any dues. When I say "why do you deserve success more than the next guy?" 50% of the time I hear "because I'm a good person." No sh*t! I cite Raphael as an example of someone I knew that played for the love of playing and I get the "so what?" vibe. Oops, forgive me, There I was, taking life too seriously. I'm just thankful I knew somebody soo serious about the bass and I appreciate your help. :D

6. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    Garrett played with Monk, too, it turns out.

It's a coincidence that I'm reading a Monk bio right now. A few pages back I read that in December 1970 Garrett did a month-long gig with Monk at the Both/And Club in San Francisco. He was a local pickup 'cause Larry Ridley couldn't do it. Apparently he got good notices from a local critic.

Drummer was Clarence Becton.

7. M Paroo

M Paroo

Jan 2, 2004
    River City
    I just noticed that you get more hits in google if you use "donald rafael garrett".

dhadleyray - welcome to TalkBass.

8. dhadleyray

dhadleyray Guest

Dec 7, 2004
    thanks! I'll check it out.. :p

9. teleharmonium

teleharmonium

Dec 2, 2003
    Great player. If you're into more out material I highly recommend the Sea Ensemble recording on ESP. It was a duo with his then wife who is still a busy musician, Zusaan Kali Fasteau.
    I have heard some of his less common recordings, such as the two other Sea Ensemble records released only in Italy on Red, the Jarman/Moye thing on Black Saint and the Jazz Doctors LP on Cadillac, I love all of those. Another record with Garrett that I would hope would have some sort of current CD availability is Dewey Redman's "Look for the Black Star", which originally came out in Holland in the 60s but was available in the 70s on Arista Freedom in the US.

http://www.bardoworks.it/rafael.html

10. dhadleyray

dhadleyray Guest

Dec 7, 2004
    Thanks! I can't believe how helpful everybody's been! When I studied with him, It was intense... The only reason I didn't keep going was the simple fact I was poor. I knew he was occasionally doing a gig at a place in Champaign, Urbana called "Natures Table." Sometimes when things were rough they gave him a gig and fed him and a saxophonist named "Guido Sinclair." Naturally, the University hurt the scene by closing down the club and putting a parking lot there. Alison Krauss's brother Victor played there as well as John Pinell (Union Station).

It's a shame that he didn't get the accolades that were his due, but thanks to you guys, I can get the records. Thanks! :)

11. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Houston, Tx
    My very first teacher, Bill Douglass, studied with him. He was incredible. The Jazz Doctors with Billy Bang, Frank Lowe and Dennis Charles is great. The two Shepp albums , Three for a Quarter one for a Dime & Live in San Franciso are monumental.
    He is on some euro bootlegs online if you dig around.
    I played nice quartet gig with his wife years ago. She is great!

According to the "jazz babylon" he turned Coltrane on to LSD.

12. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    I played with him at the old Piano Man in Chicago around 1981. It was my regular Tuesday night gig with tenor man Rich Fudoli's Quintet. That night the band included Garrett, Jeff Czech and myself on basses, Robert Shy and Paul Wertico on drums, and a couple of keyboard players. Big fun.

13. Nathan Levine

Nathan Levine Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2008
    Anchorage, AK
    +1 to the Sea ensemble album. I was thinking I would mention it when read the original post, but it looks like teleharmonium beat me to it. It is some pretty wild stuff if you are into that kind of thing...

14. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Houston, Tx
  15. Nathan Levine

Nathan Levine Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2008
    Anchorage, AK
    Thanks for the link Damon. Initial browsing suggests there is a ton of excellent music to be found here. Should keep me busy for a while. :)