1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Donate old strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by gregoryisrael, Sep 25, 2010.

1. gregoryisrael

gregoryisrael

Apr 19, 2008
    Austin TX
    Is there anywhere or anybody that takes old strings so people can actually use them? I have a box of old strings from the past 10 years that I've kept around in case I break a string or two, but they're adding up and I just don't want them anymore. I'd love to donate them to a teacher or institution who can use them in case students break strings or just can't afford them. Most are round wound 4 string sets, 45-105, with some flats, 5-string, and tapewound thrown in there. Any suggestions?

2. FWIW, I have a couple of old sets of D'Addario EXL170s that I would give away if someone paid shipping.

3. gregoryisrael

gregoryisrael

Apr 19, 2008
    Austin TX
    Oh yeah, haha. Whoever would take them all I ask is to pay for shipping :)

4. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
  5. deigam

deigam

Jan 20, 2010
    Rome - Italy
    doesn't he say they accept only guitar strings?

6. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9

Sep 1, 2007
    Arizona
    I sent the guy there an email and will post his reply.

I once sent some to Madagascar, per a stickie here, and they came back to me.
    Postage was expensive.

7. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9

Sep 1, 2007
    Arizona
    Not accepting bass strings.

8. mellowgerman

mellowgerman Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    I'll take any used sets of flats you might have, if they'll fit on a fender mustang bass. Of course I'll pay the shipping.

9. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    anyone looking to get rid of some 4 string flats I will buy please.

10. gregoryisrael

gregoryisrael

Apr 19, 2008
    Austin TX
    bummer on that, seems like a perfect outlet

11. gregoryisrael

gregoryisrael

Apr 19, 2008
    Austin TX
    I'll see what there is to go 'round.

12. Ok, the strings are gone now. :hyper:

13. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Excellent!

14. It would be great to find some org that donates used string. I had a friend who traveled to Cuba and he took a suitcase of three things, pencils, spark plugs and guitar strings. He said folks keep guitar strings for years and year because they are so valuable. There was an interesting article in Premier Guitar about African bass players I wonder if there's contact through them. ALthough maybe it was a British guitar mag, I'll have to look.