Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Donate to the American Red Cross

Discussion in 'News & PR' started by paul, Aug 30, 2005.

1. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
  2. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
  3. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    Thanks to all who donate. It is mind numbing to be here in Texas knowing we've lost most everything. I have never experienced the kindness of so many strangers, if only our federal govt. did half as much as friends family and strangers have done for evacuees. Along with house, here is the potential gear wiped out:
    GK 1001RB II
    Bergantino HT210 and ES115
    Ashdown Entwhistle preamp
    QSC RMX 1450
    Road Ready Rack with Korg tuner and Furman power conditioner
    Eden D410T
    Spector NS4CRFM
    New Orleans Guitar Co custom built 5 string
    Hamer B series 8 string
    Hamer Chapparel US 12 string
    Aria Pro II Explorer
    Fender MIA P Bass
    Pedal board

Not to mention, furniture, clothes, computer , tv, etc. etc. We're hoping that the 2nd floor wil be ok and that will save some of the gear that was upstairs.

My point is almost everyone has lost so much. We are actually lucky despite the losses to have a place to stay in Texas, my company is staying afloat with temp corp office in Dallas, etc. So many have NOTHING left. Even a dollar or two from everyone would go a long way to help those less fortunate than myself. Thanks for everyone's generosity and kindness.
    Rob Norton

4. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    I would urge people wanting to donate money for hurricane victim relief to consider sending your charitable contributions to the Salvation Army.

Only 30 cents of every dollar donated to the Red Cross will reach recipients -- 70 cents will go toward Red Cross self-promotion, padded salaries and perks.

95 cents of a dollar Salvation Army donation will arrive where needed.

5. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    I'm curious to know where you got that stat, ryco.

According to my sources the Red Cross spends 5.4% of it's revenue on administration expenses, where:

"Administration Expenses: This measure reflects what percent of its total budget a charity spends on overhead, administrative staff and associated costs, and organizational meetings. Dividing a charity's administration expenses by its total functional expenses yields this percentage."

The Red Cross spends 91% of it's total budget on Program Expenses, where:

"Program Expenses: This measure reflects what percent of its total budget a charity spends on the programs and services it exists to deliver."

Source: http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm/bay/search.summary/orgid/3277.htm

The Red Cross has 36 unpaid volunteers for every 1 paid staff person.