1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Donating blood..

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by makanudo, Oct 9, 2009.

1. makanudo

makanudo

Dec 26, 2008
    Hey there, so my blood type is O-, and there is the need for some O- right now, i have never donated before and im wondering what it is like so if i go i can be more relaxed and stuff, thanks in advance.

2. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    It's not bad at all - the paperwork you have to fill out is more painful than the needle going in.

3. makanudo

makanudo

Dec 26, 2008
    well yeah but the idea of something penetrating me, anything, anywhere its just not good for me =/

4. standupright

standupright

Jul 7, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Brownchicken Browncow
    just look away and think about pancakes. you'll barely notice. after that there isn't any pain at all.

5. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    When I have to get a shot or have blood taken I relax my arm and breathe slowly without looking. If you're stressed your body tenses up and it will make the needle hurt more, but if you relax you don't notice it as much.

6. makanudo

makanudo

Dec 26, 2008
    yeah i know, i think i will do it man, i bet the feeling of literally saving a life is worth the little pinch=')

7. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    The Red Cross won't even let me donate just flat out because I was born in a different country. Don't they screen all blood for the same stuff regardless of the donor's POB?

I think it's a ridiculous policy. Every time they complain about there being a shortage a blood I just shake my head, as I hoard my blood all for myself.

8. makanudo

makanudo

Dec 26, 2008
    well that's bull, come to mexico and lets donate =)

9. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    I'm also O Neg, so I've donated more than two gallons over the years. O-Negative is the "universal donor", so once you donate, be prepared. They'll call you any time they run short. (Anybody can receive O-Neg; but if you HAVE O-Neg, you can only receive that same type.)

O-Neg is also used for the little premature babies; so there is always a need for it.

As far as feeling uneasy about the donation itself, it's not too bad. Like somebody else said, just look the other way if it bothers you when they stick you. And think about the good deed that you're doing...

10. makanudo

makanudo

Dec 26, 2008
    Yeah i feel very good of what im going to do, who knows, maybe ill need the favor back some day..

11. standupright

standupright

Jul 7, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Brownchicken Browncow
    usually depends on what country you are from.

12. anyonefortennis

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    I don't recall them asking but maybe they did. I still think it's foolish and maybe even racist. I'm son of 2 pharmacists and given immunization for every disease imaginable. My blood is just as good as anyone else's. If they were more open and analyzed donors on a case by case basis they would have a bigger donor pool.

13. Tama

Tama

Nov 19, 2008
    Bugtussle
    I think it's because we have strict requirements and exemptions Mak.
    The CDC or whoever wants to eliminate (if possible) any possibilities of tainted blood.

I remember just as AIDS started to appear, we had some AIDS tainted blood get into the blood supply. There was a huge uproar over it.
    Since then, the rules have become pretty strict.

I have given some plasma before, it's easy. The part I didnt like was the long wait for them to extract the plasma...boring.
    Cheers, Dave

14. anyonefortennis

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    My point is, isn't ALL blood screend for AIDS regardless of the source??

I wonder if I go back now after becoming a US citizen if it would be any different.

15. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Still can't give blood. Lived in Europe during the mad cow scare.

16. Tama

Tama

Nov 19, 2008
    Bugtussle
    You would think so eh?
    I don't know why the restrictions???
    Dave

17. Tama

Tama

Nov 19, 2008
    Bugtussle
    Also, I dont know why for other reasons. I mean, I would think any possible contamination or disease would be checked for regardless of the persons origin.
    I cant think of any disease that one might have being only regional. Time to ask Hawaiian Thunder (I think thats his username...the biologist guy)...he may know.

Dave

18. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Same, and it drives me nuts that I can't donate.

So I give them my time rather than my blood, usually help them with snacks and stuff, and helping queezy people.

19. WookieeForLife

WookieeForLife

Sep 30, 2008
    PA.
    Or putting M&M's in order at the snack table.
    "E,W,E,M,E,W,W,M........"

20. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yep, and when they're all straight... mmmmmm :p