1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Donating musical gear....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by kbraker510, Dec 6, 2018.

1. kbraker510

kbraker510 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2008
    has anyone here done this before? I have what I consider a lot of things I don’t use. I t is all quality serviceable stuff. My preference would be to donate it to an organization that helps Veterans and disabled/special needs kids as I feel these are two needs that are can never be truly met. I have a friend that will get in contact with the local VA and my mom knows someone at St. Jude’s hospital. It’s something I’ve been struggling with to let go of *things*. I could sell them but I know I’d find something else to buy with the cash. Please reply or Pm me if you have any ideas...
    Thanks

Bass Viking, TolerancEJ and GregC like this.
  2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    All my musical gear will be going to a local music school when my lights go out.

TolerancEJ likes this.
  3. I heard that there is an org collecting musical gear for people in SoCal that lost everything in the fire.

4. redwingxix

redwingxix Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2015
    detroit
    St. Jude's would be an excellent choice if they take equipment donations. The possibility to open up a new world of possibilities for disabled children would be the way to go. If you're asking.

5. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2011
    I was very fortunate to fine a young man wanting to take up bass guitar just this week. I had an old Johnson P copy sitting in the closet for several years. This gave me an excuse to get it out clean it, oil the fretboard and set it up. Got it playing very nicely. He had a small budget for an amp so I found a good condition Peavey TNT 115 on CL, drove him to the seller and made sure it worked properly and negotiated for him. Presented him with the bass and he couldn't be happier. I've offered to comp him a few free lessons also.

I really enjoyed donating the bass and some of my time on a more personal level. I'd do it that way again if I could.

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  6. MG Wolf

MG Wolf

Nov 29, 2014
    Due East
    I've donated two basses thus far to my local public high school's music department, and they were thrilled to receive them both and use them to build more bass players!! :bassist: :bassist:

Both Fenders: a P-Lyte and a Highway One Precision. :thumbsup:

7. I`ve also donated to my local high school. Far less hassle than selling and it goes for a good cause. Win win!

MG Wolf likes this.
  8. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    Most non profit agencies who makes a living off providing services usually get first pick on the donations. That's been my experience with several non-profit agencies (5). When I have no use for gear, I give it to people I know and their family members. That way I get first pick on who gets the gear.

9. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I prefer to make my donations to individuals rather than organizations.

10. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
  11. BigLoopDuke

BigLoopDuke Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    DSM, IA
    Youth shelters sometimes have music programs. I donated a few things to a recent shelter program last year.