Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Done it - new Accugroove on order!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by matthewfoote, Apr 5, 2005.

1. Yippee :hyper: I have just placed an order with The Gallery for another Accugroove Tri 112L to go with the one I have already. This will replace the Epifani 1x10ul that I have just agreed to sell to a fellow TBer.

This means that when it arrives I will have my very own Whappo Jr but in two boxes. :bassist:

Matthew

2. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    sitting down,facingforward..UK
    Endorsements: Shuker Guitars, Dingwall Designer Guitars, D'Addario, Planet Waves, Barefaced Bass
    Aw that sounds cool! I am in the UK, and recently gor a wee tri210l from the Gallery too.
    Great guys and a smart little beast of a cab too. Must admit, a Jr would go with it very nicely! ;o)

3. dood

Martin and Alex at The Gallery really are two of the good guys.

Martin is also making me another 7 string Sei to go with my 7 fretless. When that and the Tri 112L get into my hands I think I will be taking some anti-GAS pills so that my wife does not get too angry with me buying too much new gear.

By the way how does the Tri 210 sound with your 7? and what amp do you use?

Regards

Matthew

4. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Still waiting for the SL-Tri110L here :D!

5. Welcome to the Club!! My El Whappo will be here FRIDAY!!

Peace.

T

6. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    Endorsements: Shuker Guitars, Dingwall Designer Guitars, D'Addario, Planet Waves, Barefaced Bass
    Hey Matthew!! MAAAAAN I'd love to see your 7 string SEI's I bet they are soooo nice! Definitely on my GAS list!! I like Martin and Alex, they are friendly and I have had good phone discussions with them. bonus!
    Well, now the cab has 'broken in' nicely I am enjoying a really nice clear tone with the 2x10. I can see why Bill Dickens likes Accugrooves with his basses. I think for the volume that my bands play at, maybe a second 2x10, or Jr is required as well. for now I plonk the Accu on top of a Hartke 4.5XL.
    Amp wise, I am using an SVT2pro.. my li'l baby. *I* think the two are well suited, the presence in the top and middle from the cab, mixed with the glassy valve tone and rumble bottom end, yeah, I like that.
    Tomorrow I am taking delivery of a new power amp, to use with my stereo rack rig. can't wait to get that 'warmed up'.
    Do u have any photos on TB of your 7?

7. Dood

To hijack my own thread here is a photo of my Sei.

Now to put it back on track, I am constantly amazed at how well the Accugroove cabs cover everything from the low B to the high F without there ever being any woolyness or harshness.

I really cannot believe that it has taken so long for someone to come up with such an excellent sounding range of cabs. It just shows what differing quality we bassists were forced/prepared to put up with over the past few decades.

All credit and thanks to Mark Wright at Accugroove for doing such a great job!

Regards

Matthew

8. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    Sei... That really is an example of beauty.. very nice, very nice indeed. :hyper:

Accu' ... I hear ya +1! I'd love to hear a coupla Whappo's cranked in stereo with a BIG 7 sound. That'd be an experience I'm sure!

9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Matthew:

Which models of Accugroove cabs did you hear before making your decision? The Tri 112L is one of the few I have not heard, and I am interested to hear how it compares.

Tom.

10. I am also intriged by the T112L. I am starting to get an nice collection of single 112 cabs ... Berg HT/EX, Epi T112 NYC. I would also like to tri (ha) the Accugroove, Schroeder Mini, EA CLX, Wizzy. I'm still interested in a AG Whappo Jr. but have not come to any decsion on it. Oh, and the Berg Sub S.

11. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Manager: AccuGroove Speakers
    OK, now I'm blushing...

Mark
    AccuGroove Music Systems

12. Guess what Tom is buying next??? (Sorry Tom, couldn't resist!). :p

13. Ooops. Congratulations to you both Matthew and Tommixx. Also, it's good to see Mark blush once in a while... the extra effort he puts in on behalf of his customers takes it up a notch, at least by my experience.

14. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    can i stick in my 2p worth? My choice was made completely blind. The first time I saw an Accu in the flesh, was when it arrived at my door.
    Be it the best decision at the time I'll never know, but, well hey, i'm hardly regretting it.... the neighbours may be tho ha ha

15. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Congratulations!!! I too just ordered a Whappo Jr. through Bass Central, Florida....Can't wait to hear this baby shine with my Thunderfunk and Aggie rig.... :bassist:

16. Tombowlus

The Tri112L was the first and only Accugroove I tried when it arrived at The Gallery for me to pick up. I too brought it blind but only after reading a lot of the threads here and asking questions. I got one of the first two Tri112L in the country so there was no way I could have heard it before I ordered it.

Yes it was a gamble and I broke the cardinal rule of never buying before trying but hey sometimes you have to take a leap of faith. I would say that I am in no way dissapointed with it. With the back plate controls set as per Marks advice the highs on my fretless 7 are crystal clear and really sing with no harshness. The mids are fully represented but for me it is the lows that are my favorite bit. They are there like no other 'small' or medium cab [read 4x10] I have heard. At a recent gig a punter who was standing to one side about 40 feet away came up after the gig and said how good the bass was. This was without any P.A. support!

Each note comes out as played, with every nuance coming through, bear in mind I use a Clarus which is an uncoloured amp. The reaction to even a small amount of eq change is amazing and shows how sensitive the cab is.

The cab I have been twinning it with [epifani 1x10ul] is very good and its light weight cannot be beaten, but I decided that for my playing a pair of accugroove Tri112Ls would suit me best hence this order.

In reality it was an easy decision for me and the idea of a Whappo Jr in two boxes with the added benefit of it being easier to carry and transport in two boxes rather than one was for me a winner. Who knows one day I might add a couple more and run 4 off my Clarus. Now that would be a rig to behold :)

Now I just have to wait for The Gallery to put the order in and away I go.

I would finish by saying that the Tri112L is the best, and I mean the best, small cab I have owned or played in my 22 years of playing and would recommend it to anyone in the market for a single can or two cab solution. To me it kills a 4x10 as it has so much more defined low end but with the addition of the 6" cone the mids just shine through as well.

Regards from a happy punter.

Matthew

17. jacove

I think you will find it is your bass and your playing that will shine with the Accugroove. It will just sit at the back and do the business for you and few people [except us in the know] will really appreciate the great contribution it makes to the overall sound.

Matthew

18. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    I showed up saturday for a special praise gathering to find that the bass amp had been left behind :eek: Dashed home, grabbed the Thunderfunk in one hand and Tri-112 in the other. I got to hand off playing to my buddy for a while and listen out front a little. Do not be deceived by its humble size and light weight; the ThunderGroove will blow some ears (and thump your chest) in the nicest possible way! I'm thinking you're really going to dig your new rig, Jacove :bassist:

19. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    very cool, matt,

agreed, the Tri112 is quite the cool cab. again, and no doubt, one of THE best 1x12's out there. and Mark really is one of the saints of bass-dom. :cool:

btw, what amp?

20. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Well, from your description, it sounds like the Tri 112 fits right in line with all the Accugroove cabs that I have tried! :D It is certainly one that I will have to give a listen to one of these days!

Enjoy!

Tom.