Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

done to death: j-bass p'up replacement?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jim primate, Dec 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

i'm looking for a thicker tone out of my j-bass w/ output equivalent to my p-bass and need some pickup suggestions, i've already decided to put in concentric vol/tone pots and a series/parallel mod, and yes i've searched the forums but didn't really find the info i wanted.

some suggestions, thicker tone, not a p-bass tone, i want more bass and treble (which is why i got a j-bass) but i still want good mids. some please some info, ideas and suggestions.

and i'd rather not go active or go over $150 or so.

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I've done the series/parallel thing on one of my passive Jazz basses(there was a schematic in some old Guitar Player mag I had laying around).
    I'm not real thrilled with either position, though...YMMV.

Couple other comments-
    1)An outboard pre-amp(Sadowsky, Aguilar, Fodera) will fatten up your tone.
    2)In the past year, I added an onboard preamp to a different J-bass(Aguilar's smallest onboard unit). Definitely a boost!

If you're still thinking pickups...
    Consider a "Quarter Pound" pickup in the neck position & a "Hot Stack" in the bridge position.

Some helpful info-
    www.seymourduncan.com/website/products/bassesdescr.shtml#QuarterPound153forJazzBassreg

3. I am looking at getting either a set of Quarters, or some Hot Stacks.... why combine them? The thought occured to me just slightly, but since I am new and still have a lot to learn about electronics, I just dismissed it..... :confused:

Anybody have any thoughts here?

4. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    true.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.