1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

done to death: j-bass p'up replacement?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jim primate, Dec 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

i'm looking for a thicker tone out of my j-bass w/ output equivalent to my p-bass and need some pickup suggestions, i've already decided to put in concentric vol/tone pots and a series/parallel mod, and yes i've searched the forums but didn't really find the info i wanted.

some suggestions, thicker tone, not a p-bass tone, i want more bass and treble (which is why i got a j-bass) but i still want good mids. some please some info, ideas and suggestions.

and i'd rather not go active or go over $150 or so.

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I've done the series/parallel thing on one of my passive Jazz basses(there was a schematic in some old Guitar Player mag I had laying around).
    I'm not real thrilled with either position, though...YMMV.

Couple other comments-
    1)An outboard pre-amp(Sadowsky, Aguilar, Fodera) will fatten up your tone.
    2)In the past year, I added an onboard preamp to a different J-bass(Aguilar's smallest onboard unit). Definitely a boost!

If you're still thinking pickups...
    Consider a "Quarter Pound" pickup in the neck position & a "Hot Stack" in the bridge position.

Some helpful info-
    www.seymourduncan.com/website/products/bassesdescr.shtml#QuarterPound153forJazzBassreg

3. I am looking at getting either a set of Quarters, or some Hot Stacks.... why combine them? The thought occured to me just slightly, but since I am new and still have a lot to learn about electronics, I just dismissed it..... :confused:

Anybody have any thoughts here?

4. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    true.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.