Done with Dunlop Super Brights

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by scubaduba, Dec 29, 2017.

1. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    I've tried to like these. But just had another one snap upon stringing up a brand new set. D string this time right at the ball. Fortunately the string didn't hit me. Seems like some serious quality control issues with these strings.

E4646238-8B02-44B4-ADF5-FFA7CDAAECF1.jpeg

Maiden Bass likes this.
  2. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Just started using them fairly recently. No such issues for me, yet. What bass, bridge, gauge, and tuning? Slap, fingers, pick?

3. Bassworship1

Bassworship1 Inactive

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    I like Dunlop strings and have never had the issues alot have had with broken strings. Still searching for the perfect Round that doesn't cost a fortune.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  4. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Roscoe bass. Standard Roscoe bridge. 45/125 five string set. Didn't even play the bass. It snapped about 5 seconds after installing. String wasn't even fully tuned up yet.

5. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Apr 2, 2013
    Tennessee
    I've had a few sets, not had one break yet. Good strings, especially at the price.

javi_bassist and SJan3 like this.
  6. Maiden Bass

Maiden Bass Inactive

Feb 11, 2007
    I had lots of problems with these strings, and they would NOT even intonate correctly! Posted on here before about the problems and no one seemed to believe me. Oh well, it's the truth about these strings having problems! I've moved on to DAddario NYXLs and Pro Steels and have never looked back! :bassist:

Dp1363, BrentSimons, jgolfer and 2 others like this.
  7. Mechayoshi

Mechayoshi

Dec 7, 2015
    Tennessee
    I’m done as well, but not for quality reasons. I’m down tuning more and just need slightly higher tension these days. Oh, and they DO intimate oddly, though I never considered that a deal breaker.

Edit: *intonate ;)

8. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca In the pocket n' thumpy. So woody, so greasy...

One can only imagine just how oddly a bass string would "do intimate".......:D

Solarmist and BrentSimons like this.
  9. mmbongo

mmbongo I have too many basses. Supporting Member

Hate that for you man. I've gone through about 300 SuperBrights so far (individual strings, not sets) on my Roscoes, Laklands, and Spectors. Never broken a single string and I think I've had a total of two dead strings. I had more dead strings than that on my last set of DR's! Quality wise, SuperBrights have been as good as anything else.

monsterthompson likes this.
  10. slamzilla

slamzilla

Feb 17, 2004
    DFW
    Just had one of these snap on me. Waiting to see if they follow up in customer service before I jump ship.

11. mmbongo

mmbongo I have too many basses. Supporting Member

Man I sure hope they haven't changed something on these recently. It's been about 6 months since I bought any, as I still have about 20 sets on hand. If I break a string from the next batch I'll be upset for sure but it will be a while before I need to buy more.

12. Where were the broken strings purchased? I'm wondering if they are from an older or newer batch. I've only bought a 4 string 40-100 pack plus a .130 single with zero issues from bass strings online, so I don't have much experience.

13. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    I bought my first set of Mediums a month or so back....they are still on my Jazz and are at that "nice and broken" phase. I havnt had any issues and think they sound pretty good. However, there are so many brands on the market, i would switch to if I had continuous issues.

14. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Back to DR Fat Beams and Pure Blues for me. Done with Dunlop. DR strings feel so much nicer too.

Freaklight, Means2nEnd, Helix and 2 others like this.
  15. I’ve been playing D’ Addarios for 10+ years and have never had a problem. Very consistent with no duds or breakages.

Phud, Aqualung60, onda'bass and 2 others like this.
  16. 74hc

74hc

Nov 19, 2015
    Sunny California
    Dunlop gives out oodles of free strings from what I've seen. So I would assume that you can write Dunlop and explain with pictures, and they will send you a set or two.

Aqualung60 likes this.
  17. Eric Swaim

Eric Swaim GOD, U.S. MIlitary, Country Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I put a pack of Dunlap strings on a bass, did not like them. Fortunately for me they were free.
    I always use DR strings. No other string like them and I have played them all (brands that is).

18. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    The flexibility of the round core may be causing the breaking problems. It also means these are the wrong string to use for down tuning.
    I thought they were OK but they didn't blow me away. I didn't care for Dunlop's regular strings either. I do like the Miller 5 string set though.

eriky4003 likes this.
  19. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    My go-to cheap nickle has become EBs. I used to hate them, but I like them on my passive four string basses. Simple, warm, just enough articulation.

BrentSimons likes this.
  20. Orion1985

Orion1985 Supporting Member

May 4, 2010
    Grass Valley, CA
    I can’t blame you, I’ve had the ball come off a string during installation and I’ve had intonation issues on a single string in a couple sets. Each time I was able to get a free replacement from my guitar shop. I really enjoy my Dunlops. They weren’t issue free but my problems were addressed to my satisfaction and I’m happy to still use them.