done....

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by danharris, Sep 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. so my bass is strung and quite playable. deep rich tone, reasonably low action.

ok. lets play a game, look at my first picture and try to guess what happened here. then we can look at the last pic to see how close you were...

ready.......go!

im going to leave that hole there for a while, to remind myself that im an not a master craftsman. my wife said cut it off and glue on another piece, but honestly i dont care anymore. its monday and im off to work. my first bass is done. it will probably be my last for quite some time. im glad i left the head so long so i had room for that extra hole. and an extra black bushing to hide it. 20160925_203119.jpg 20160925_203235.jpg 20160925_203038.jpg

smithcreek and Chris_Toot like this.
  2. rwkeating

rwkeating

Oct 1, 2014
    Chicago
    none
    So what happened? Were you drilling the hole and the wood cracked or string it up or ???

3. Jonny5bass

Jonny5bass

May 3, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    Nice looking first go around (aside from the headstock;)).

4. tubedude

tubedude Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2015
    Ga
    Fell and hit the tuning peg?
    Maybe reshape the peghead thusly:

Attached Files:

5. first guess wins. wood cracked while drilling last hole. all the holes were lined up perfect too, so all the strings would sit paralel. oh well. i am having fun playing it. it does sound really nice unpluged. im kinda undecided about wiring, i want to do a volume and a tone pot. i have never adventured into wiring very far. actualy the only thing i really need inbetween the pups and the amp is a female phono jack and a short cable, so i might expand my horizons with the old soldering gun.

ya i thought about doing a reshape too, but the crack runs really close to the next peg hole so i smooshed some glue in and clamped it.....for the sake structural integrity

anyways, thanks everyone for watching, listening, encouraging and coaching all the other hobby builders here in the corner, i have learned a lot

Chris_Toot and Jonny5bass like this.
  6. There's a fairly simple way to fix that headstock up.

First, dowell the hole and fill the split and crack. Second, laminate a decorative veneer onto the front of the headstock. It should look pretty great and you can choose whatever veneer you like. If it was me I'd add more veneers to the back to hide it altogether, but you can leave it open to your eyes to remind yourself of mistakes. ;)

Beej likes this.
  7. Grumry

Grumry

Jul 6, 2016
    Nashville
    That's a nice piece of wood.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021