Donna Lee tapped

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by HaVIC5, Dec 5, 2005.

1. HaVIC5

Aug 22, 2003
    Brooklyn, NYC
    I recently learned how to play the melody of the bebop standard "Donna" with my right hand, and I arranged it so I could play the head and comp at the same time in both Latin and swing. Here's a video of my attempt.

2. pnchad

pnchad Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2005
    Bump squared!
  3. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman

Feb 26, 2003
    Great job! my only suggestions would be play it with a metronome,and try doing the bass solo section in the "tapping" style.You are doing a kick A@* job!!!
  4. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Terrific. You're a dedicated and very talented player. Congrats! [​IMG]
  5. darkblack99

darkblack99 Supporting Member

Tasty...Keep going for the flow.
  6. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
  7. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    Incredible job... how long did you work on it?
  8. Hey Havic - I know you from MX (you wouldn't know me)

where did you get the sheet music for this? I want to get some Jazz stuff to polish off a few things i've been doing on Alto and Tenor Saxes.
  9. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    The tapping was very good, well done. When you went to the fingerstyle part it was obvious that you practice tapping more than anything else. Nothing wrong with that unless you want to be a bass player. I know a lot of players that focus on one technique such as tapping or slapping but can't play regular bass because of poor right hand technique. Your right hand tapping looked very controlled and practiced whereas your right hand plucking looked like a baby learning to walk. *DISCLAIMER* I understand that I'm judging you by one short video and that you very well be a better fingerstyle player than you appear. But again, great tapping!
  10. HaVIC5

Aug 22, 2003
    Brooklyn, NYC
    Although I can play the normal perfectly perpendicular to the strings method, for some pieces I prefer this more Garry Willis approach to right hand technique, as it makes it easier to throw my 3rd and 4th fingers out to pluck the chords that serve as consequence to the bass solo.
  11. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    I'm impressed. I can play the head, solo over the changes . . . sorta. But comping at the same time? Damn. Keep it up. Have you listened to Stanley Jordan play guitar? or Charlie Hunter?
  12. Dude, who the F are you??????? :)
    THAT RULES!!! Keep up the hard work! What else goes on in that bedroom besides your hot bop chops? :)

13. HaVIC5

Aug 22, 2003
    Brooklyn, NYC
    Stanley Jordan is a key influence. Ever since I've seen him tearing through Cousin Mary on BET Jazz's Studio Jams, he's been giving me inspiration.
  14. Joe Garage

Joe Garage

Mar 13, 2005

I think even Jaco would be impressed.
  15. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Ya, pretty impressed.
  16. OrionManMatt

Feb 17, 2004
  17. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    awesome dude, really really nice
  18. Really good work - my only criticism (not of the tapping, which was excellent) was just your time went all over the place once you started soloing - I know you're trying to do two very difficult things at once - i.e. soloing and walking - but if you were to play this in front of a crowd I think you'd loose them through a lack of groove - and obvious excess of technique. I'll second that it wasn't obvious that your finger picking was that good, as it's good to have all your techniques on a similar level (it takes a lot of work I know), but you're young, you've got talent, and if you keep this up by the time you're as old and cynical as me you'll be kicking my butt into next week - overall great effort man.