1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Donna Lee Transcription Here!!!

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by Anonymous 98765, Oct 16, 2009.

1. Anonymous 98765

Anonymous 98765 Guest

Feb 20, 2007
    Hey everyone,

It's been a while since I last posted a transcription, but I wanted to do Donna Lee for one of my music college auditions so I transcribed it ;) Please let me know what you think :D

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Anonymous 98765

Anonymous 98765 Guest

Feb 20, 2007
    Wow I'm surprised no-one cares about this considering it brought Jaco to the forefront of bass playing :O

3. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I think the problem is that you posted this in the tab section and I'm guessing that most that frequent here don't know what those little dots mean. :bag: :D

4. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

That and the fact that Donna Lee transcriptions are available all over the place.

Still, a nice effort that I appreciate it at least. I like to have a collection of TABs and transcriptions, even if I'm not a big fan of the bassist or song. You never know when you might need to know the song -- or parts of it.

I hope you got into the college because of it.

5. Anonymous 98765

Anonymous 98765 Guest

Feb 20, 2007
    Haha well there's no notation section!

6. Anonymous 98765

Anonymous 98765 Guest

Feb 20, 2007
    The only one I could find was wrong so it inspired me to do my own.

Thanks for appreciating, probs took me a solid days worth of work (by that I mean 24 hours over the course of a week). From doing it though I have gotten better at transcription; I find figuring out things a lot easier now :)

7. BluesWalker

BluesWalker

Jun 17, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Very nice transcription. I printed out is and saved it. I will take a shot at it next week.

8. Anonymous 98765

Anonymous 98765 Guest

Feb 20, 2007
    Sweet, I'm attempting to learn it too. A word of advice for anyone transcribing, learn and repeat as you go!!!

9. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

That's one of the values sof transcribing stuff by yourself. You can't help but learn. Eventually you won't need TABs at all.

I always appreciate when someone puts in the effort to transcribe something, even if it has mistakes (not that I'm saying yours does, just in general). I wish more people that made TABs would take as much care and post things that are at least close to correct.

10. Anonymous 98765

Anonymous 98765 Guest

Feb 20, 2007
    Tbf I don't use TAB anymore anyway, I wish I never had started, but that's the way I was taught. It does have it advantages in showing fretboard positions but I'm ont gonna get into a debate about it, that's not what this thread's for.

I appreciate your kind words :D

11. zuma

zuma

Dec 21, 2006
    East Los Angeles
    Thanks for posting this. It is EXACTLY what I was looking for and it looks great. SPLENDID!

12. i wonder if the tab forum should be retitled to reflect the transcriptions listed here that are requested and received in notation.....i got flamed in another thread for pointing a new player to the tab site for material to work on his reading skills

13. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    That's a great job!

14. Anonymous 98765

Anonymous 98765 Guest

Feb 20, 2007
    Cheers man :D

15. Anonymous 98765

Anonymous 98765 Guest

Feb 20, 2007
    :D Thanks! Playing it is something else haha

16. Anonymous 98765

Anonymous 98765 Guest

Feb 20, 2007
    Tab is not good for reading skills, since no-one (in MY experience) ever gives you a tab part to read from.

Yeah I think it should be retitled "Notation/Tabs and Transcriptions" or something.

17. Tabs are very nice for "bedroom heroes" like myself.

I can read music (trumpet player) but when it comes to bass I just like to learn tunes and jam along with the mp3 player.

I can learn quicker on the bass cleff via tabs. I don't ever plan to be a professional bass player so I appreciate tabs and use them almost exclusively.

Concerning this tab? Whew, I don't see me playing it very soon. LOL

18. Anonymous 98765

Anonymous 98765 Guest

Feb 20, 2007
    Yeah tabs are good if you just wanna learn a song quickly, though I prefer to transcribe it (or at least the chords then work something of my own out from there).

Haha I haven't learnt it either, I transcribed Scott LaFaro's solo on Waltz for Debby for my audition, messed it up on the day, but still got a place haha

19. I've done some C&W bass lines by going off the chord charts (because I couldn't find the tabs) but that stretched the limits of my ability. LOL

20. Anonymous 98765

Anonymous 98765 Guest

Feb 20, 2007
    C&W? :bag: