Donosaurus meets Milli Vanilli

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by Don Higdon, Nov 25, 2002.

1. I'm doing a video shoot on Dec 9th with Danny Rodriguez, NYPD's "singing cop." If you can believe this, they want a 35 piece orchestra to "bow-sync" a pre recorded sound track. No one will be allowed to make a sound because Rodriguez will be recording live over it. They have scheduled 8 hours for 5 or 6 songs, with only 2 done end to end.

What does it say when I get paid not to play?

Do I put this on my resume?

Do I have to join Actors' Equity?

What kind of rosin should I use?
  2. WildBill

Jul 7, 2002
    I'd play my bass upsidedown and play it with a tennis racket.:D ;)

3. Ivory should do nicely, although Irish Spring has that lovely picquant scent in case you should decide to play funky.
  4. Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    This sort of thing happened when I was playing a small cafe gig one time. The piano player had a last minute emergency so the singer's husband showed up in his place. He was a pop keyboarist, and most of the stuff he could play was sequenced stuff they did as a duo, which had bass tracks in them. They asked if I could look like I was playing so the cafe owner wouldn't get upset.

Have you heard the true story about the studio trombonist who got a call to do a recording, got there and only had one note to play?

When he was finished, he told the guy who hired him, "Call me if you ever need a C#. It's one of my best notes.":D

5. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    This is called "side-lining"; I'm pretty sure this one is under Federation contract. You need to call your Local to double-check. You may need to call Pat Varriale at the Federation (International) in NY -(212) 869-1330. He handles certain Federation contracts. Don't wait.

PM me if you need help.
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

That's not so fanciful. So in Bruckner's 8th Symphony, the cymbal player has to wait until about 2/3rds of the way through, to play a note - about an hour into the piece and then sits down again!! ;)
  7. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    I had a battery die in my Steinberger slab once at a hotel convention gig, on the very first tune. No passive bypass switch, ergo, no sound. I started to leave the stage to buy a replacement, but the pianist/bandleader started shaking his head, saying that the client expected to see a quintet, just stay put. He kicked key bass for the whole first set (he's REAL good at it) and I just "bass synched" 'til the first break. Then I bought his left hand a nice tall cold one.
  8. Vaseline
  9. I would go with the Irish Spring, the stronger sent may be relaxing.

Sorry Pete, I think you missed the question.
    I am guessing Don would not want to be known as the guy who showed up with Vaseline for this gig.

10. It depends on where it's to be applied.
  11. So that's what they're callin' a bow?
    Take a bow.