1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Don't be too Nice!!!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Tom Bonzo, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Tom Bonzo

Tom Bonzo

Feb 20, 2015
    Michigan
    I finally let the male lead singer go in May last year. I started the band 6 years ago and we now have a national booking agency for weddings and corporate gigs. I'm pretty damn happy to be honest!! We got picked up by the agency in Feb of 2016, shot video and they did all the promo work including a brand new website. They pay for a featured site on the Knot as well. All I had to do was organize the event and pay for the audio. We brought in an extra female vocalist to add to the show. The problem male vocalist sang flat as poopie on the video shoot gig!!! Everyone was floored and couldn't believe it! During the editing the agency cut him out because you can't sell flat! Period! Meanwhile I'm in the hospital for a planned surgery, pretty serious when the video gets published and he's bitching to high heaven. Ya know your flat and totally put our opportunity in jeopardy, no not just yours the whole bands! What life must be like in a vacuum..... Funny though my wife put him and his wife in their place letting them know my health was a bit more important than trying to make flat famous! God bless her! My wife is a trooper and has put up with and supported my music and gets a lot of credit. Moving forward.... the singer's been a pain for years now and the band just got a whole lot more serious. This is business more than ever. Our younger 20 something vocalist, great attitude, very pretty, talented has been dealing with his crap for too long. My band vision is just seeing him in the picture less and less. I could write a book so I'm condensing this quite a bit. Last straw was he gave away a gig and demanded it back. That was it!! I let him go and I brought in the other female vocalist that worked with us on the video shoot. She is extremely talented, young and beautiful. All with a great attitude! The band has never been better both in product quality and just plain fun! It took me a while to recover from his type of drama. It made me feel like I wasn't good enough or somehow it was me. My wife says I'm too nice but that's me and would rather that be my fault then being a band manager tyrant. Anyway I did wait to long and I will never let someone undermine my band again like that! Fight the good fight!!!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
    PauFerro and GKon like this.
  2. Shaking the dead wood out of a band is no easy task although I've known band leaders that have no problem axing a musician at the drop of a hat.
    In business you wouldn't keep under performing employees on the payroll simply because they are nice guys.
    It's not called the Music 'Business' for nothing.
    I think because creating music is such soul touching enterprise that many musicians have trouble separating the personal from the professional, myself included.
    I've been fired from bands for various reasons and it was difficult to be pragmatic without taking the layoff as a personal indictment of me as a person. Not so much anymore as the shoe's on the other foot and I've had to let a few musicians go recently.
    It better to cut your losses now than hobble along with a defective product indefinitely.
    A band is only as good as it's weakest player.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
  3. Tom Bonzo

Tom Bonzo

Feb 20, 2015
    Michigan
    He helped for a long time so I have to give him credit in bringing us where we are but I think it was simply the station he needed to get off the train at.

4. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

it's a shame to have to let others go, no matter what the reasons, but it's better to always move forward when possible, IMO. it sounds like you're doing the right thing for your new market. good luck to you and your band! :thumbsup:

5. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Paragraphs are friends.

design, Herrick and pcake like this.
  6. Woolber

Woolber Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2013
    Canada
    Friends to some, distant acquaintances to others.

Herrick, pcake and hrodbert696 like this.
  7. PauFerro

PauFerro

Jun 8, 2008
    United States
    Sometimes you have to be bold. Sometimes, you have to rock this world (quoting from a song I head recently).

Glad you were able to be strong. The guy is probably losing sleep over this if his experience is like mine. He put a lot into the band. One thing I try to do is find a way to keep these musicians in the loop if I can. A low paying accoustic gig or some other local community thing, provided he's not to ticked he's not doing the big game anymore. Have to be a big lesson for him not to sing flat.

8. Tom Bonzo

Tom Bonzo

Feb 20, 2015
    Michigan
    We literally tried everything. I'm glad because I needed to be able to live with myself. The bass player who is widely respected and has worked with the some pretty big names appealed to him to work on his vocals and he was unfortunately not willing.

PauFerro likes this.
  9. Ekulati

Ekulati Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2016
    Richmond, VA
    Good for you. As for him, and this is not a joke, he may being experiencing some hearing loss and having pitch issues due to that. Plus, just overall muscle stuff that happens after the age of say...30 or so. Assuming he is...

Tom Bonzo likes this.
  10. I won't be paying to see Crowded House after catching their last outing on Sydney Opera House steps ( on telly ). Harmonies frequently shot to hell. I noticed Neil not wearing hearing protection, plexi around drums, 810x2 bass. Putting two and two and two together, his hearing is gone.