Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

don't buy new

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by newbalance802, May 31, 2002.

1. newbalance802

newbalance802

May 16, 2002
    Hey-

Make a list of all the basses recomended to you. Then go to ebay and search for a few weeks until you find one.If you want a good inexpensive used bass check out some of the peaveys, I see good peaveys like the sarzo on ebay dirt cheap, also I see mim jazzes way cheap as well. Just take your time.Impatience is a smart buyer's worst enemy besides a wife.HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

C-money

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Hm, sadly ebay Germany is total crap.
    Only junk.

3. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    that is to bad man.
    i find stuff on ebay all the time.
    haven't bought anything yet but over the summer i will!

steve

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Did we create a new thread when we wanted to reply?

5. Maybe it's just a public service announcement?

I don't have a problem with buying new when I can. 2 out of my 3 basses I bought new. My Yamaha was bought sight unseen, unheard, and unplayed. The problem with eBay basses is even worse than ordering from online. I bought a bass from eBay not too long ago, some no name P bass, for $55. Hell of a score, IMO. When I got it, there was some unadvertised finish damage, the pickguard screws were all rusty, and a few other cosmetic problems. The day after I got it, the pick ups went out. :rolleyes:

I didn't complain, and shrugged it off, and got some new pups. I wasn't complaining because it only cost me $55. OTOH, if I bought a $550 bass from eBay, and had similar problems, I'd be highly upset.

for the most part, I enjoy shopping on eBay. I've never had any major problems with any sellers.

There are ups and downs to buying new as well as buying used from eBay.

6. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i wouldn't buy a bass if it didn't have a return policy!

steve

7. Agreed.

8. I'll double that. no return no sale!!!! :eek:

9. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Not always possible. What's a used Fender Zone going for these days?

10. New Balance 804s are great shoes--I buy them new whenever I see a pair for cheap.

11. i get them at the factory for 10 bucks cant beat that. great shoes

12. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I agree with ChaosGwar -- I buy new when I can.

Actually, I don't think I would ever buy a used speaker cab ever and I doubt I would ever buy a used amp or bass unless I was able to look it over and/or use it first.

13. This sounds like a subversive attempt to topple capitalism.

Ebay is handy for hard to find items, or good used stuff for cheap. But you have to be careful. Ebay isn't like Musician's Friend or any other musician site. You can so much more screwed on Ebay than any Musician friend. Though that doesn't mean that Ebay is super dangerous, you just have to be more careful than on more "corporate" sites.

I like new instruments, used instruments are cool cause they already have their soul, and have been worn in. But sometimes you don't get what you want. But new instruments are like little babies, you can raise them and mold them and they become you!