Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Don't cross the picket!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Komakino, Nov 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. At 6pm today the firefighters of Great Britain go on their first national strike since 1977. They're demanding a 40% pay increase to bring their wages up to £30,000 a year...the government has offered just 4%.

Say hello to the emergency fire coverage: 900, 1953 Bedford Portable Pumps. 35 mph, no radio, cab made of timber and plywood. One 35 ft ladder, no breathing apparatus, no cutting equipment, no foam, no chemical suits, only one low pressure pump driving 4 hoses.

[​IMG]

2. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Here's hoping this dispute is over quickly. While I have no doubt that the armed forces manning the Green Goddesses will do their very best to do a job thay are ill equipped to do, I can envisage unnecessary deaths as a result of their lack of training and equipment!:(

3. Yes indeed, let's hope it ends quickly, and before anyone looses their life. We ALL need Fire, Police and ambulance service!

Mike J.

4. *sets up deck chair and sign*

Well is TB gonna protest with them? :p

:D:D

Merls

Woo its chilly... *starts fire* :eek:

5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    There is no price we can put on the lives of people.

I say they increase pay!

Peace
    Nick

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Man, one of those things would make a BITCHEN gig rig. You could carry all your gear and still have room to put a reefer and a couch in there to kick back. You'd be travelling in style and livin' large!

7. In some countries Firemen work voluntarily.

8. Yeah and if you get held up in traffic..... turn the sirens on heehee :p

:D:D

Merls

9. Johnny BoomBoom

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

There is a 'Fire Engine Limo' in Glasgow that hires out for hen nights etc. It's an older Red Fire Engine!!! Limo hire is getting bigger over here, but most are the usual white stretched jobs. But there is one, that I've seen once that does a limo service!

Hmmm, I wonder if that was poor firemen supplementing their income..........

10. Johnny BoomBoom

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    On a more serious note, I was shocked this morning when I heard the news of the amount of hoax calls that have occurred since the strike started!

In Strathclyde - the biggest region in Scotland, there were something like 280 emergency calls, and only 40 were actually genuine. Some areas have started sending motorcycle police initially to the scene if these 'fires' to see if they are genuine or not........:(

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

How are we going to actually cross the picket lines anyway? Am I going to "rush" the Fire Station (there is one at the bottom of my road) and demand to be let in? I've never been in there in my life, so why would I want to go in now? :confused:

Or do you mean that we shouldn't try to help put out fires if we see one - sorry madam, I can see you're on fire and receiving third-degree burns but I cannot "cross the picket line" and smother the flames with my coat!! :rolleyes:

No government would pay the Firefighters a 40% increase -which is what they are demanding and if they did would push our economy into collapse and increase unemployment etc etc

Of course the Tories would want this - they think 3 million unemployed is a natural consequence of policy - but they would also cut taxes, so there would actually be less money for public services like Firefighting!!

No political party would pay the 40% increase they are demanding - OK I agree they should be well-rewarded; but so should Nurses, Doctors, Ambulance Drivers etc. etc.

Anybody who thinks we should pay the 40% to Firefighters, should be prepared to put their "money where their mouth is" and accept an increase in their personal taxes to cover it - so you who support the Firefighters can all volunteer for 40-50% Tax rates!! ;)

12. I agree *wow, I agree with Bruce, I must be getting old;) *

if they want more pay, do it over time, a 40% increase in one year is rediculous.

"mom, I want my allowence increased from $20-$30:rolleyes:

13. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    This could well be "Tony Blur"s downfall - lets hope so! (Can't stand the arrogant smug-faced-Bush lap poodle!)
    :eek:

14. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I really can't understand how they came up with the figure of 40%. If they were to get it (and I agree that it seems beyond the bounds of feasibility) that would be a major blow to the economy (ie. tax rises would be required) and a bit of a kick in the teeth to those who've given years of faithful service in the line of fighting fires and recently retired.

I'm not fully up to speed with all the demands, but I would have thought that a much lower settlement accompanied by rises in death and disability benefits would be a better solution. Let's hope that there won't be too many casualties of this dispute.

Wulf

15. Johnny BoomBoom

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I believe the figure comes from the fact that they want to be salaried as professional people - as they keep saying on the radio/tv. I believe they feel that adding 40% of their salary onto their approx. £20,000 will bring them into the realms of professionals. They have stopped quoting the 40% now and have started asking for a 'professional' salary!

I do understand that their profession and responsibilities have changed over the years, and I do think they should be appropriately rewarded. I think the intila 40% was maybe a figure to help them haggle for what they really wanted - I heard something briefly on the radio about the 'real' figure they are wanting is actually now 16%.

Yesterday (or maybe the day before) they rejected an 11% rise over 2 years. I would be over the moon for a rise like that. Admittedly I make more than they do, btu thinking back to when I was on theat salary level, I would still have been very happy with that kind of promised pay rise!

16. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I thought that the idea was that the Firefighters wage should be brought into line with what other emergency services are getting?

IIRC, the current wage for firefighters is something like 21 or 22 grand, the idea being that the 40% increase brings them up to about 30, to be in line with what police etc. are paid. But I'm not entirely sure.

17. Bruce Lindfield

What's the alternative - IDS - he's just hopeless! Tony Blair's jokes are much more funny - did you hear the replies to the Queens' speech, yesterday?

IDS was blown off the stage by Blair!! ;)

I liked the one about the ideal book for IDS - "Unite or Die" by Fidel Castro and the comic timing when people mentioned that at least he was still in power!! :D

18. Bruce Lindfield

This is the point of course - as soon as Blair and Brown back down and give them 11 or 16% , then everybody else in the Public Sector will be saying - I could do with some of that and they will be on strike as well - inevitable spiral into inflation and public spending!! :(

The government simply has to stand up against these strikes or it will be a case of having to put up taxes considerably and even if they do, there's no guarantee our economy won't take a nose dive!!

19. Bruce Lindfield

No - rubbish - staff nurses get much less than £20k and 40% would put them way ahead of ambulance drivers etc.

Police have loads of different pay rates - so it depends what you're comparing with?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.