Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

dont ever get involved with your bandmates

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Shoonk, Aug 10, 2002.

1. I used to be in a band called Glowing Pickle, and there was this one girl who was always at all of our shows, and relaly loved us. well it's her 17th birthday and she has asked if we'll play for her at her cottage. The cottage only has solar and wind power, which basically means we'll have to do it acoustic, if we do it. The problem is, we've been broken up for over a year now (it was my first band) and our drummer doesnt play drums anymore, and she refuses to talk to the guitarist who is her ex-boyfriend. I talked to them both, and they both relaly want to play the gig, but really dont want to talk to eachother ever. I figure that hell, we can just play, I mean all good times, bring us back a bit, and they're willing to, but they refuse to meet together! how are we suppsed to practice if they refuse to talk to eachother?!?
    help!

peace&plaid
    -Shoonk

2. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    You may seriously want to scrap that gig. If they still aren't speaking and won't meet to rehearse, then there is a good chance that the night will only end badly. You could give them an ultimatum or something to speak to each other or else no gig. But these sorts of things often end badly when there's that much tension and bad blood within a band. Rent The Commitments if you want a case study...

3. thanks Dan:) i was afraid it was headed that way anyways.

4. There's probably no way that gig will be happening. It'd make the performance itself worse just because your drummer and your guitarist aren't communicating.

5. How hard can it be to find another guitarist?:)

6. Depends:

Finding a guitarist with an ego: easy
    Without an ego: in your dreams

:p :D :cool:

7. I just read a not bad novel called Don't Sleep With Your Drummer, by Jen Sincero. Girl quits corporate soul-killing job to become rock star. Begins to become rock star. Music industry things happen. Pretty funny book.

8. what a bummer!!!
    hmmm, is it alright to get involved with ex-band members?
    ...and i do know some guitarists without egos!

9. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    yeah. there are alot of guitarist out there.. I don't know how many good ones you'll find.. but you will never search too long for a guitar player

10. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    Tell us any bowl**** to make the gig, play like a god and give her a nice present in her tidy bedroom ....