Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Don't forget Jimmy Haslip!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Basso Gruvitas, Jun 27, 2001.

1. Fellow bassists,

If you have some bucks burning a hole in your pocket and you want to get a bassist's CD, pick up Jimmy Haslip's "Red Heat." It's on Amazon or you can maybe find it at your local record store.

Jimmy is the bassist for the Yellowjackets and displays some wonderful playing on fretted and fretless bass on this CD. It's got a strong latin foundation, but it also has some great fusion too.

Make it so, Number one!

2. Jimmy is one of my favorites. Red Heat is a very good album. There was some discussion about Jimmy about 3-4 months ago. Do a search on TB and you'll find it..

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

That Red Heat has a really challenging song (for the listener) on it, "Calle de la Soul," or something like that. We're programmed to expect consonance, harmony, and tonality and that song has this familiar-enough accompaniment to this totally whacked-out, off key, melody line.

Another Haslip admirer here. I got turned on to him in a backasswards way. For me at first, he was one of those bassists you see in Bass Player and think as you're reading, "Yeah, yeah, I'll have to check that guy out someday," but you never seem to get around to it.

Then I got an Anita Baker album in the mid-80's because of that voice. This was the last album before East started doing all her sessions. I heard all this great slap and pop on "Same Old Love" and thought "Who is this guy ?!?!" Turns out it was Haslip. Been paying attention ever since.

Anyone know what kinds of basses he uses? Is he still a 7-stringer?

4. "Calle del Sol" is good. I don't know, kinda reminds me of something I heard long ago from Herbie Mann.

I thought he was a 6-stringer on a Roscoe.

5. Maybe my memory is failing, but I thought it was "Ready" Freddie Washington on "Same Old Love." Somebody check it out.

Jimmy plays MTD, Yamaha, and Roscoe. He's a big Roscoe endorser, but I don't know from listening which bass is which. But it must be nice to get some of the best basses out there, PLUS an SWR endorsement!

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

John - I guess it's "pick your bassist." It's all sessions split among the aforementioned plus Neil Stubenhaus. I credited Haslip because on my copy of the "Rapture" LP with that song, Haslip is the only bassist credited.

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    First time I heard Haslip was on a '70s Gino Vanelli album, Brother To Brother...I also like how Haslip sounded "fretless" on a fretted(for awhile, fretted basses were all he played).
    Haslip & William Kennedy really have/had a strong empathy with each other; both guys are strong in all that cross-rhythm stuff I'm usually yammerin' about. I miss what they had goin' on...

Now, that said-
    ...I have Arc & wasn't really moved; as a result(& from reviews from a couple of others here...guys like Jerry "MIA" Byers), I didn't buy Red Heat(too, it was released like 2 years after it was was supposed to be, I kinda lost interest).

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Ahh, "Brother to Brother" with the infamous solo;)
    That's when Jimmy caught my eye, too.

The Haslip/Kennedy thing...feel the same way. A perfect match. I went to see the Jackets at Blues Alley years ago when Marc Russo was still with them (perfect seats, about 6 feet from the stage). Went mainly to see Jimmy, was mesmerized with Will's drumming. Still am.

I liked "Arc"...apparently me and two other guys;). Still haven't heard his latest.

I've seen him with a Roscoe 6 and this 7 string MTD
    [​IMG]

Anyone else see the video of Jimmy and Michael Bolton in their 80's hair band?

Anthony Jackson has done some session work with Anita Baker, too.

9. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Make that three. I've had Arc since it came out, and I think it's an excellent record. I particularly like Vince Mendoza's tunes and arrangements. I've been looking around for more of Mendoza's stuff, but without much success.

I also agree about Will Kennedy. Tremendous drummer. You know he's not with them any more, right? Now they have a young guy named, I think, Marcus Baylor.

10. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Is that who's in the ever-revolving drum chair now?
    Peter Erskine didn't stay long at all...last I had heard Terri Lynn Carrington was with them???
    Haslip is in the newest issue of Bass Frontiers mag, sez the 'Jackets are gearing up for a new one.
    ...it's gotta be better than Club Nouveau(I hope!).