1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Don't have paid maternity/paternity leave. I need some reasons to convince management!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by mattsk42, Feb 13, 2018.

1. mattsk42

mattsk42 Supporting Member

They said they are for it, if I can just come up with a quick presentation on reasons it would BENEFIT the company. We are only about 50 employees, and have nearly every other benefit. Mostly a younger company but not that young, and average about 1 baby per year at most.

What are some compelling reasons for them to change this policy, specifically worded so that the company (not the obvious ones for employees) benefits from adding this policy?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    When I say time off, I mean PAID time off. We only get the federal 2 weeks (unpaid), and we do not have sick days, so you just have to use whatever PTO you have.

I would gladly pay someone 50 bucks to make a presentation for me too, if you have done this before.

2. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

Family and Medical Leave
    The FMLA gives eligible employees in Utah the right to take up to 12 weeks off work per year for pregnancy or parenting leave. The FMLA applies only to employers with at least 50 employees.

If you qualify, you can use the FMLA to take time off when you are unable to work because of your pregnancy and childbirth. You may also take FMLA leave for prenatal care, including routine check-ups and doctor visits. (Learn more about the FMLA, including eligibility requirements, in our article on FMLA leave for pregnancy and disability.)

3. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
  4. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    lessee. here are my first thoughts.

paid family leave allows companies to hang onto trained, skilled employees who might otherwise migrate to a company that does offer paid family leave. it also allows employees to have all the time they need off without financial hardship, and two reasons this benefits the company are that this builds employee loyalty AND having an employee take the time they really need without stress means they come back when they're really ready for work, fresh-minded due to lack of financial worry during the leave rather than coming back too early, stressed and exhausted and worried.

knumbskull, MJ5150 and S-Bigbottom like this.
  5. Grumry

Grumry

Jul 6, 2016
    Nashville
    Just be a true American and figure out how to sue. Then you never have to work again, pregnant or not!

6. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    The TL;DR version is that if people really need it, they will walk and never come back, depleting the company's experience pool.
    For too long we were in a "you're lucky to have a job at all, you can be replaced" economy.
    If that describes your current workforce, then management is smart to keep the company small and avoid the expense.
    OTOH, small companies are typically already too lean and have squeezed the workforce so tight they can't absorb a long-term absence without it affecting the bottom line due to reduced productivity. If that's your case, and it would cost more to hire a temp than keep a position open, the leave benefit has a chance.

pcake and MordBass like this.
  7. MordBass

MordBass

Nov 1, 2017
    Midwest
    Because turnover costs so many major corporations more than they would like to think.

the_home likes this.
  8. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    A good company wants to keep good employees. Better benefits are one good reason.

pcake and MJ5150 like this.
  9. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Yeah, but why not pay for sick days?

No sick days means people coming to work ill, infecting others, staying sick longer, only visiting doctors when you can barely get out of bed so little or no preventative treatment.

Poorer health in the long run and for people who happen to miss work due to illness or chronic conditions, getting fired for missing work. Only young and healthy need apply.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    MJ5150 likes this.
  10. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    SW VT
    Wow, man, you know, it's really difficult to get adequate sleep when you have a newborn in the house, so I'm all stressed out and not thinking straight, but the company wants me to come in and work anyway, so I made this big expensive mistake for the company because I wasn't thinking straight being sleep-deprived, and then I got sick because one of my co-workers was sick and came in cause we don't get sick leave and they had to make the mortgage payment, and now the baby's sick...

Hey, you know, over at my company we could use a person like you, and we have sick leave and parental leave - send us a resume....

Q.E.D.

knumbskull and Wanker_Joe like this.
  11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Yikes. I work for a company with six employees. We have sick days and maternity/paternity paid time off.

Flip it around and request your employer to explain why they have chosen not to provide benefits that ensure employees are happy and taken care of when sick or family issues arise.
    If they mention money, ask them what's the cost in time and dollars to hire a new employee and get them up to par with a current employee.

-Mike

JRA, knumbskull and jmattbassplaya like this.
  12. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    Open your own business and give yourself awesome benefits!:woot:

13. Wanker_Joe

Wanker_Joe

Sep 26, 2017
    I echo your thoughts. The first couple of months with a newborn were a literal hell. It's made infinitely worse if the child has medical issues from the outset and/or a complicated pregnancy and extremely complicated birth (speaking from experience). Without pat leave there's no way I would have been able to cope with work and home issues. I would have been a completely non-productive zombie at work lacking sleep and stressed beyond belief because I wasn't able to be at home caring for my loved ones. Why would a company want it's employee to suffer to that degree? It's inhumane.

mattsk42 likes this.
  14. mattsk42

mattsk42 Supporting Member

Looks like I'm not crazy asking for this. I'm using some of these replies when I bring it to HR. Thanks!

knumbskull and T_Bone_TL like this.
  15. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2008
    At my last job, the hourly associates didn't get paid holidays.

On one hand, this made their lives more difficult because now they were short a paycheck or two which made paying bills more difficult for them. Most would take a part time job around the holidays which would negatively affect their performance at my job as they would come in tired or distracted.

On the other hand, it made recruitment a *****. No one wanted to work a job where they got zero sick or vacation time their first year and also get no paid holidays. As such, I would spend weeks just to fill one position that should only take a few days.

I drafted a proposal to the CEO and VP of HR and they passed it. I definitely consider it one of the better accomplishments of my career. Sometimes upper management is so distracted with the board, the clients, and the vendors that they forget about the people. It's not right, but it seems like most are willing to help or change priorities if they are only told that they need to.

MJ5150, JRA, knumbskull and 1 other person like this.
  16. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    my goodness... I'm thankful for my work benefits!

hope the presentation goes well.

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 17, 2021