Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Don't kick me out, but...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NoNoise, Apr 4, 2005.

1. NoNoise

NoNoise Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    I was wondering if anyone knew of a company that makes bass/guitar double necks for around $500-700 (or less). I play a lot of experimental music, and I would like to have the option to add a third guitarist to my band for some parts and then come in with the bass.

P.S. Here is a link to Warmoth's do-it-yourself body if you're not sure what I'm talking about: http://www.warmoth.com/bass/bodies/d46.cfm

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you can just get a P and a strat neck and have no worries. Or any neck that'll fit those dimensions even.

Ray

3. NoNoise

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    You're right, but I don't know if I trust myself to be able to properly set the necks (as well as the rest of the bass/guitar).

4. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Ah, I got what you mean, you wern't asking what to put on that, but for a company who makes those from factory? Sorry, can't help ya there... someone will be able to though.

Ray

5. NoNoise

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    no problem, I guess I wasn't completely clear :smug: but, you are correct, I'm looking for a company that makes something like this (can be jazz and tele, p/j and double humbucker, et cetera) from the factory. Thanks for helping me clarify.

6. zeronyne

zeronyne Recovering Keyboard Player

Nov 24, 2003
    Chicago
    [​IMG]
    About $500, but they are out of stock.

7. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Just another quick question - does it matter which is on top and which is on bottom?

Ray

8. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    :eek: WOW! That's awesome. Toss on some new strings and some new pickups/electronics, and I bet that'd be a killer.

As for what you're looking for -- I doubt there are many out there. IMO, I think it'd be REALLY cool if you were to get a doubleneck Valenti! :D

9. NoNoise

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    I really don't care which is on top. Who makes the guitar that was posted by zeronyne and who is out of stock? :p Sorry for being a pain.

10. Hey Mnolansoc,

Do you have a price range?

11. zeronyne

zeronyne Recovering Keyboard Player

Nov 24, 2003
    Chicago
    That's a Steinberger Spirit sold at MusicYo.com (Gibson)

12. NoNoise

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    Yes and No. I just found out about these today, so I'm only looking to spend $500-700 max now, but if I keep thinking about it and decide I want to spend more, I may.

13. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    That looks to be a Steinberger at musicyo.com, but I didn't see it listed.

14. You may be better off ordering the necks and body from warmoth and then paying a luthier to set it up for you. That would be a little more than you indicated. Other than that, there's the musicyo stien or search ebay for an older carvin.

15. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The guitar posted was a Steinberger Spirit Doubleneck, not even listed on the Musicyo site anymore. I hear good things about it.

I think Galveston makes one too, I've only seen them on eBay though.

16. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

double neck scratch and dent

There is one and one only on MusicYo for $499 in the scratch and dent section (didn't show up in the regular Steinberger section).

17. NoNoise

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    Thanks for your help cragb! One last question, how the heck would I play this through amps? Would I have to set up sometype of pedal to switch between a bass rig and guitar rig? Thanks!

18. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

19. Radial makes several A/B switches. All of their stuff is awesome.

20. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

If you have a good setup guy around, they can probably
    assemble this from all Warmoth parts. The parts should fit
    fine, and the get a setup when done. You can save money by
    finishing it yourself.

I saw the double can be set up as a bass and 12 string!
    Zowie! I gotta stay out of basses, I get way too many
    big ideas.

The bassist in the Moody Blues used to play a classic
    double in some of their songs on stage.