Don't kill me...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by billoetjen, Mar 10, 2010.

1. ... but what if a Sansamp VT Bass actually sounds better than a genuine, stock, all-tube Ampeg SVT played through an Ampeg 8X10?

I mean, why not?

Now, please excuse me while I change my name and join a witness-protection program...

2. hachi kid

hachi kid

Jun 2, 2008
    Austin, TX
    well.....Geddy gets some pretty wicked tone live......

3. What if tone is suggestive and everyone has different opinions on it :D

I don't think anyone here will flame you for this, people seem pretty smart on TB and to each his own... but put on your flame suit just in case ;P

4. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Oregon, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    This is the Effects forum. You won't get flamed for that here. Now post that in the Amps forum, and you might catch some heat. That said, it would be silly for anybody to give you guff over having an opinion about sound, but it wouldn't be the first time it happened.

5. demon666

demon666

Jul 16, 2005
    Providence RI
    May sound better but I doubt it will "feel" better. I still have to check out one of those VT pedals.

6. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    The Vt pedal is a supplement to whatever amp /rig you are playing. I have an 810E and with the 4pro this vt pedal is a great additive ( like STP in a car's engine) . I know that I did play this VT through the ampeg micro ( with 2 (210) cabs ) and that rig sounded great . Have fun........:cool:

7. +1 This sounds great with a good solid state ampeg. Dime the gain and adjust eq and it roars.

8. Someone should post some anonymous clips and and then unveil the answer! :bassist:

9. JimmyM did that a while ago.

10. Empire Prod

Empire Prod

Jan 29, 2010
    A good vintage SVT rig will fill out a room with deep solid low end while maintaining great clarity and tone, and it can do it consistently over a wide range of volume levels. No pedal can emulate that. Pedals don't have power amps or speakers. The best that a pedal emulation can hope for is to try to capture some of the tonal vibe.

11. The scenario I had in mind was more like this:
    signal from the instrument to a good compressor (set or bypassed as needed) then to the Sansamp --> very clean hi-fi amp --> very clean hi-fi cab such as one or two of those Fearfulls I keep fantasizing about. Is it possible that you might end up with a sweeter, more controllable, more musical sound? But could anything but the real thing deliver that punch in the gut when you ask for it? Admittedly, it would never be as impressive on stage. Just askin.

12. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    I shouldn't be surprised one bit. :cool:

13. Broadbent

Broadbent

Mar 28, 2007
    Try this, Get an SVT-CL(or VR) with an 8x10 then add a Sansamp RBI or VT. Season too taste, and serve.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021